Electrical Panel Questions

Old 03-30-13, 08:41 AM
Electrical Panel Questions

See pic. I have roughin plumbing near electrical panel. Would i be able to build an electrical closet with interior door for the panel and it be in the bathroom? Technically it would not be in bathroom since its in its own "room" for it.
If not what can I do? Thanks.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-13, 09:04 AM
Group Moderator
I have seen it done before and passed by an inspector, but I would recommend contacting your local inspector and run it by them. They may require the closet be 36" deep so that it is it's own "real" room

Old 03-30-13, 09:07 AM
Panel

The area immediately in front of the panel cannot be blocked. Think of a space the size of a refrigerator. The pros will be along shortly with exact dimensions for the required clearance.

Old 03-30-13, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
The pros will be along shortly with exact dimensions for the required clearance.
The required dimensions are 30" wide, or the width of the electrical equipment, whichever is greater. And 36" deep, as I mentioned above.

Old 04-11-13, 06:02 PM
So inspector I called said I could not have the panel in room within a room. Is that true? So can I have a wall with a door and through that door is a bathroom with a door and the panel be outside of bathroom? With the clearances.

Old 04-11-13, 07:52 PM
So inspector I called said I could not have the panel in room within a room. Is that true?
Yes.

So can I have a wall with a door and through that door is a bathroom with a door and the panel be outside of bathroom? With the clearances.
I don't understand this question. A panel can be in lots of different places outside a bathroom. Essentially, anywhere you have the clearance needed to access it.