Pool Light wiring?? Diagram included

Old 04-01-13, 10:32 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pool Light wiring?? Diagram included

Hi All - A little background. I noticed the GFCI would not reset on the receptacle out near my pool equipment pad. I used a circuit tester and it reported a hot/ neutral reverse. I bought a new smart lock GFCI and wired it up correctly. GFCI can now set/reset, pool light switch works fine, and circuit tester reports correct wiring.

I noticed the wiring layout seemed a little odd so I put a diagram to explain the layout a little better. Is this setup okay. (I am concerned what looks like the hot pool light wire going to the neutral on the switch) Everything works fine, just checking, trying to get a better understanding of how this works. See attached. Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 04-01-13, 10:49 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not all white wires are used as neutral. Under NEC rules a white in a cable assembly may be remarked as an ungrounded conductor (hot) by remarking both ends some color other the gray or green, usually red or black. This is done with tape or marker pen, or paint. Often installers don't do that though code requires it.

You have a switch loop where the white was repurposed as a hot. It is not a neutral.

This assumes in the picture the orange wire is really a bare wire. Not sure they should have used a cable with a bare wire for ground there. We will let the pros answer that.

Old 04-01-13, 11:04 AM
L
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay. Yes, the orange is indicating bare copper wire as far as I can see coming out of the jacket. This installation is dated as 1989 inside the box, I have to assume thats when this was wired.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: