Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

running electric to front yard - diagram included - need feedback

Old 04-01-13, 10:14 PM

Hi everyone, this is my first post here.
As shown below, I will be having a washer drain added to our garage. Currently our washer drains into a bath tub, yes a bath tub.
Since the cement and ground will be opened up, I figured it's a perfect time to run electrical to an outdoor wet rated junction box. I would like to run (1) set of 120VAC and possibly (1) set of low voltage that will be coming from a transformer in the garage and most likely one run of outdoor rated Siamese CCTV cable. The purpose of this is to provide power for future lighting fixtures to be installed later.

Name:  drain-install.jpg
Views: 3371
Size:  20.6 KB

So my questions are;

1. Any code issues installing an inground or above ground junction box in regards to distance from house. It will be approximately 2' away from house.

2. Conduit material; PVC? or that outdoor coated flex conduit?

3. Any code issues with running this near washer drain pipe?

4. Anything else missing? Please let me know. I have some electrical experience but no experience with codes in regards to outdoor wiring.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-13, 10:28 PM
You cannot run Class I line voltage wiring with Class II low voltage or communications wiring so it looks as if you will need at least two conduits, maybe three.

No code problems on where to install the junction box(es) but you will need to make them secure. The easiest is to mount them on a 4x4 post buried in the ground. The conduits that transition from the box to underground need to be at minimum schedule 80 PVC and some jurisdictions may require IMT (Intermediate Metallic Conduit) or RMC (Rigid Metallic Conduit) as standard schedule 40 PVC is fairly easily damaged by string trimmers and the like.

Old 04-01-13, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention Im in California which has pretty strict guidelines.
I forgot to mention that I would be using separate conduit for each, but is it ok to use one junction box for everything.
I will research the conduit you mentioned, thanks for providing the info!

Old 04-02-13, 12:24 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

No.....each conduit run needs its own junction box. You can't co-mingle high and low voltage wiring.

Old 04-02-13, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As far as planning for the future, I'd suggest running three 3/4" PVC conduits from the house under the sidewalk. Terminate the 120v one into a box as detailed above. For the others, use some duct tape to seal the end well and take a photo of where exactly it terminates. Down the road, you can easily dig the ends out and pull whatever CCTV, Low Voltage, etc wiring you may want.

In the future, you can also pull additional 120v wires for switched lighting, other power, etc.

Conduit is a great way of future-proofing without worrying about what wires go where today.

Old 04-02-13, 11:54 AM
Cool, great info!

I'm going to look for image example on how people mount their jboxes. One user mentioned mounting to a buried wood post, seem interesting. If I use two 4x4x4 oudoor PVC boxes (1 for 120VAC and 1 for LV) can they be flush or surface mounted?

Old 04-02-13, 12:07 PM
Group Moderator
Old 04-02-13, 01:39 PM
is it ok to use one junction box for everything.
Yes, if you use a box that has dividers approved for separating the different types of wiring. They're available at electrical supply houses.

Cheaper and more flexible to do it with separate boxes. Do a thorough job of covering the ends of the conduit you don't need to connect now - plastic sheeting plus duct tape works well. So does a glued-on cap that can be cut off later.

The electrical conduit needs to be run above the drain in the ditch, maybe 6" or 12". Ask your local jurisdiction (inspector).

Old 04-02-13, 01:43 PM
Hey I like that! That will do for now.

Old 04-11-13, 02:52 PM
Hey again everyone. Got another question regarding my wiring;
I'm thinking of brining the PVC conduits up through the cement up to about 18" from floor to each of their own jboxes. Any rules as to where to mount my transformer? Not about it's secondary yet, maybe 24 or 12Vdc.