Gfci

Old 04-02-13, 09:47 AM
Gfci

Can a Gfci installed outside be wired to have only the top half operated by a switch. I have a pond and some low voltage lights to put on a receptacle, and I would like the lights/transformer always on, but maintain the ability to turn off pond when necessary.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-13, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Can a Gfci installed outside be wired to have only the top half operated by a switch.
No, but if you put the GFCI protection before the receptacle you can use a regular receptacle and make it half switched. Is the receptacle wired directly to the breaker box?

Old 04-02-13, 10:00 AM
I have not wired anything yet, should I just but a GFCi breaker and use a regular receptacle? Thanks for your help!!!

Old 04-02-13, 01:45 PM
I have not wired anything yet, should I just but a GFCi breaker and use a regular receptacle?
That will cost more and the only way you will be able to turn anything off will be by turning the breaker off and killing everything. Unless you also buy a switch and wire through that to one half of the receptacle. Is that what you have in mind?

Old 04-02-13, 06:46 PM
I have not wired anything yet, should I just but a GFCi breaker and use a regular receptacle?
It wouldn't be just a regular receptacle, I believe it also has to be weather resistant to be used outdoors. It also must have an in-use weatherproof cover, sometimes called a bubble cover.

Old 04-04-13, 03:50 AM
Yes, will that work??????

Old 04-04-13, 09:39 AM
Yes, will that work?
If you're asking whether including a switch will work, then yes. Just make sure to follow Joe's advice that all of the devices must be rated weather resistant and covered with in-use covers.

Old 04-04-13, 01:24 PM
Thank you for all the advice!