adding surge protecter

Old 04-03-13, 05:54 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
adding surge protecter

Since I live in the lightning capital of the world, (central Florida) I have a 10 year old surge protector on my main panel outside the house. This main panel has additional ckt breakers that feed two rooms in the house. The remainder of the house is feed from the main panel to a 200A panel in the garage. The garage panel feeds the heat pump and goes thru a disconnect panel on the outside wall by the heat pump. I want to install an additional surge protector there and had decided on a "Supco SCM150". Just completed a service call on the heat pump 2 weeks ago ($500) fryed ckt board, #1 wondering if this is a problem with 2 surge protectors? #2 the ground rod is back at the main panel, should I drive a new ground rod @ the disconnect panel also? Tx

Last edited by pcboss; 04-09-13 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-04-13, 05:02 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
There is no problem with a second surge suppressor, in fact, it's a good idea for supplemental protection if you are having problems, but I am wondering about the integrity of the 10 year old surge suppressor at your main panel? Does it have indicating lights to show if it is still effective and operating correctly? The ground rod at your main panel is sufficient if it meets the 25 ohm or less resistance requirement. If in doubt, add a second ground rod at least 6 feet away from the first ground rod. Keep in mind that damaging surges can and do originate within your home too and not always do they come from lightning.

Old 04-05-13, 12:24 PM
Yes the original surge protector still has lights showing. I was going to replace that one as well just because of the age. Interesting connection, the main surge protector is connected thru dedicated circuit breakers to the main buss. The new surge protector shows connection directly to the buss, no circuit breakers there except the ones in the garage. I used to use a megger back in the day to check the ground rod, don't have one now and I am not about to disconnect the connection to the ground rod to measure. Wonder if the power company would do a "complimentary" check, probably not since they sell the surge protectors and then charge you $6 a month. Tx...

Old 04-05-13, 02:00 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
the main surge protector is connected thru dedicated circuit breakers to the main buss. The new surge protector shows connection directly to the buss, no circuit breakers there except the ones in the garage.
Do you mean it fits on the bus like a circuit breaker.

Old 04-05-13, 06:08 PM
Hope I can clarify. The main panel (outside) has space in it for 10 breakers. As previously stated, some of these breakers feed 2 rooms in the house. The remaining breakers, 1 for the sprinkler system and 2 breakers for the surge protector. (2 black wires from the surge to breakers that bridge both sides of the main buss, white wire to neutral bar). 2 other breakers feed the hot tub. The new surge protector, (yet to be installed) is connecting to a disconnect box for my heat pump. (this connection comes from the garage panel)

Old 04-05-13, 06:22 PM
Tried to add photo to last post, retrying Schematic show's connection to the heat pump side of the disconnect box at the same point where the wires run to the heat pump. I have ckt breakers in the garage panel, not in the disconnect.

Attached Images  
Old 04-05-13, 08:49 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
That's an interesting setup. I've never seen a surge protector wired to the overcurrent protection device that supplies the load.

Old 04-05-13, 09:33 PM
There seems to be no neutral so where is the neutal connected and are those lugs rated for two wires.

Old 04-06-13, 02:09 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
That's an interesting setup. I've never seen a surge protector wired to the overcurrent protection device that supplies the load.
It's application specific, more often wired in the panel of the application rather than at the OCPD. I've seen a few in the field.

There seems to be no neutral so where is the neutral connected and are those lugs rated for two wires.
Neutral/equipment ground connection is between the two load wires. Technically it is ONLY a bonded ground and while the wire on the device is white it is both the grounded and grounding conductor.

Old 04-09-13, 01:42 PM
Tx for the great info. Got the new surge in the mail today and installed it. (Green light ON ) Looks like it hangs out from the wall about 7/8". Should I put a piece of PT wood or something behind to brace it. Seems pretty solid?

An added note from the manufacturer. "Although the SCM150 can be installed at the main breaker panel, SUPCO recommends installation at the service disconnect for the A/C condenser"

Attached Images  
Old 04-09-13, 02:01 PM
Should I put a piece of PT wood or something behind to brace it. Seems pretty solid?
Maybe use an offset nipple.

Old 04-09-13, 02:06 PM
I have seen them, paid little attention to them, but seems like a great idea. Its 7/8", probably go with a 3/4 and a washer or 2.

OOps The surge has a threaded shaft that you stick thru the hole and screw on a jam nut. Do they have a female offset nipple and a male side?. Ones I see on line look like male/male.?? (outside thread)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: