Service Disconnect Before or After Meter?

Old 04-02-13, 07:41 PM
Service Disconnect Before or After Meter?

I was at a friends house and noticed that the service disconnect was before the meter, can someone explain that? The equipment looked as if it hadn't been touched in over 100 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-13, 08:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Only the POCO can disconnect service prior to the meter. Disconnects for your house are on your side of the meter. NOW, that is unless you have a sub-meter to help with power usage programs, etc. Those meters are installed after the POCO's meter.

Old 04-02-13, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
It's extremely rare to see a disconnect before the meter.
The reason for a disconnect outside after the meter is if you require more than I thinks it's five feet of unfused wiring inside the premises.

Old 04-03-13, 05:49 PM
It's extremely rare to see a disconnect before the meter.
The reason for a disconnect outside after the meter is if you require more than I thinks it's five feet of unfused wiring inside the premises.
I agree, it is very rare to see a residential service disconnect before the meter, but the OP did state that this was very old equipment. As Nash frequently says, all codes are local. In addition to local codes, there are the POCO rules to follow as well. When that equipment was installed, the POCO may have required a disconnect ahead of the meter. All that being said, in commercial work, a service disconnect is sometimes required ahead of the meter on 480 volt services, it's generally called cold sequence metering.

Old 04-03-13, 08:04 PM
I've done a fair amount of commercial work. I've never installed nor serviced nor seen a disconnect on the property on the POCO side of the meter. Here, the POCOs wouldn't allow it.

Old 04-04-13, 01:04 AM
Yes confirmed. Last night I asked the super in my friends building to show me the basement again and yes, the disconnect switch is before all the meters. This is an old building, I don't know if they do it different now.

Old 04-04-13, 09:42 AM
Having a service disconnect before tenant meters makes more sense. I think we may have done that in a couple of malls.

Old 04-04-13, 06:29 PM
Yes confirmed. Last night I asked the super in my friends building to show me the basement again and yes, the disconnect switch is before all the meters. This is an old building, I don't know if they do it different now.
Having a service disconnect before tenant meters makes more sense. I think we may have done that in a couple of malls.
Yes, that makes a whole lot more sense now. In the very first post, you stated you were at your friend's house, I understood that to mean a single family house. If there are more than 6 meters, you'll likely find a main disconnect ahead of the meter, I often see that here too.

Old 04-04-13, 06:39 PM
I've done a fair amount of commercial work. I've never installed nor serviced nor seen a disconnect on the property on the POCO side of the meter. Here, the POCOs wouldn't allow it.
It's a safety thing implemented in the last several years by the power company. We used to use self contained bolt-in meters on 400 amp and 600 amp services, but bolt-in meters ahead of the main disconnect are being phased out so the metering guys don't have to work those meters hot. On a single phase 400 amp service they require either a 320 socket with plug-in meter or for a full 400 amps, CTs are required.

Old 04-04-13, 10:14 PM
It's a safety thing implemented in the last several years by the power company. We used to use self contained bolt-in meters on 400 amp and 600 amp services, but bolt-in meters ahead of the main disconnect are being phased out so the metering guys don't have to work those meters hot. On a single phase 400 amp service they require either a 320 socket with plug-in meter or for a full 400 amps, CTs are required.
Right. It made sense once he told us it was a multi-tenant space with individual metering.

Old 04-05-13, 05:58 PM
Right. It made sense once he told us it was a multi-tenant space with individual metering.
This is on single meter installations, they call it cold sequence metering.

Old 04-05-13, 06:28 PM
This is on single meter installations, they call it cold sequence metering.
Very interesting .