Using 2 load centers

Old 04-05-13, 04:12 PM
Using 2 load centers

Are there any restrictions to using 2 load centers next to each other? Can they be connected with minimal space? Is there any code about this?

All posts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-13, 04:32 PM
Will both be subpanels or will one be a main panel? The spacing should be fine.

JOC, why do you need two panels next to each other?

Old 04-05-13, 05:26 PM
You didn't say if this was indoor or outdoor. The panel doors must be able to fully close and open at least 90 degrees. Outdoors, nipples between panels must have proper seals or hubs depending on where the penetration is. These can force distance between the panels.

Old 04-05-13, 05:56 PM
Are there any restrictions to using 2 load centers next to each other?
Would this be a 400 amp service with two 200 amp main breaker panels next to each other?

Old 04-05-13, 10:09 PM
This is for 2 fuse panels that are next to each other (maybe 2" apart in the center) for a 100 amp indoor service. I guess these would be considered subpanels because they come after a main disconnect switch. The reason I ask is because if I change the fuse panels into circuit breakers, I want to make sure everything is up to par.

Old 04-06-13, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As others have said, they can be side by side without a problem.

Though, now is probably a good time to upgrade to one larger circuit breaker panel. While fuse panels are quite safe when wired and used correctly, circuit breakers are definitely the way to go if you're already moving some panels around. Is there a reason you're not switching them out now?

Note that circuit breaker panels are typically larger than older fuse panels, so you'll need to be sure you have the space.

Old 04-06-13, 09:15 AM
The reason I ask is because if I change the fuse panels into circuit breakers, I want to make sure everything is up to par
You can buy a 100A circuit breaker panel with up to 40 spaces for branch circuit breakers for very little money. Why not do that now and just have one panel??