Old wiring to new wiring

Old 04-06-13, 04:25 PM
Old wiring to new wiring

I'm trying to add an additional ceiling light in my basement. The light will be the last light before the switch. My problem is that the old house wiring has a red wire along with a white wire and black wire. What is the wiring procedure from the old (original) light to the new additional light? The old light was the last light before the switch.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-13, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
The color wire connected to the black of the last light is the color you connect to the black of the new light (probably red).

Old 04-07-13, 10:17 AM
Old wire to new wire

Thanks Ray for your response.
The old wire coming into the old light fixture has red, black, and white wires.
The new wire has black, white, and ground wire but, no red wire.
So is the procedure red to the new black wire and then white to white?
And then what about the leftover black wire from the old wire?

Old 04-07-13, 11:21 AM
Group Moderator
So is the procedure red to the new black wire and then white to white?
Yes.

what about the leftover black wire from the old wire?
It remains connected to what ever it is currently connected to.

Above assumes red is switched and you want the new light controlled by the same switch. If you want the new light on a new switch then the wiring will be different.

Old 04-07-13, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the forums, Sid!

I'm trying to add an additional ceiling light in my basement. The light will be the last light before the switch. My problem is that the old house wiring has a red wire along with a white wire and black wire. What is the wiring procedure from the old (original) light to the new additional light? The old light was the last light before the switch.
Are you trying to add a new light fixture, or outlet, between the first existing outlet in a series and the switch that controls the series?

If so, the simplest way to do it may be to add the new fixture or outlet as a branch off the existing series. To do that, all you need to do is run a piece of 14-2/G or 12-2/G cable (depending on whether this is on a 15A or a 20A circuit) from the new location to the nearest existing outlet in the series.

In the box supplying the existing fixture, add the bare ground wire and the white neutral wire from your new cable to their respective splices. Add the black wire from the new cable to the existing splice where the black wire for the existing fixture is connected (it doesn't matter whether the black fixture wire is connected to a red or a black house wire.

At the new outlet, connect everything color-to-color.