How to wire Cooktop?

Old 04-06-13, 06:11 PM
How to wire Cooktop?

Hi,

I have a new 4 wire (red,black,white,green) Electrolux cooktop that I need to wire in to existing 3 wire (red,black,white) + ground. I have a new junction box.

Can someone please give me step by step instruction on how to wire the cooktop through the junction to the wall?
Also, what else do I need to secure the junction box and wrap the wires?

Thank you in advance!

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-13, 09:17 PM
Welcome to the forums!

Can someone please give me step by step instruction on how to wire the cooktop through the junction to the wall?
You splice the wires color-to color. Green and bare are both indicators for ground, so the green load wire needs to be spliced to the bare feed wire.

what else do I need to secure the junction box and wrap the wires?
First of all, the cable feeding the cooktop should be protected by a 240V circuit breaker in your panel. What size is that breaker, and what is the "Max Overcurrent Protection" allowed for the cooktop? Once that is checked out and changed, if necessary, you're ready to hook it up:

Are the wires from the cooktop in a whip? That is, are those four wires contained in a jacket that's not visible in the picture?

If so, you need a junction box that's big enough for the four wires and the splices, and that has knockouts (KOs) large enough for the cables. It should also have a raised place with a threaded hole for a screw to bond the ground wire. A deep 1900 (4" square) box may work. What size are the wires?

You also need two cable clamps, one sized for each cable - both 1/2" or both 3/4", or one of each, and one green ground screw. If the cable coming from the panel has enough slack in it, You can bring it in through what will be the lower side of the box and secure the box to the wall with 2 or 3 plastic anchors and screws. If not, you'll need to bring it in through the back and screw the box to the floor. In either case, the cable from the cooktop can come in through a side KO.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wrap the wires". The insulated wires need to be trimmed with linesman's pliers and stripped with a utility knife so that about 5/8" of bare conductor is showing. Hold each pair together so that the ends of the insulation are even and twist them together at least 3 times with the pliers. Use the pliers to trim the ends if you need to and twist a wire nut - either the reds you have or the slightly larger blue ones - onto each splice to protect it. Make sure no bare conductor is visible at the back of the wire nut on any of these splices.

Start the green ground screw in the threaded hole in the raised bump. Wrap the bare ground wire from the panel around the screw, clamp it tight to the screw, and finish tightening the screw. Make a brush with the individual conductors in the green wire, hold it next to the bare wire so that the ends of the wire are even, and screw on a wire nut. Fold the wires into the box and cover it.