Bypassing a GFCI Breaker

Old 04-07-13, 06:05 AM
Bypassing a GFCI Breaker

This is probably a sensitive question/request and breaks the rules of current electrical safety standards. I am a live sound audio engineer and the bands I work with travel to different venues every week. Many of our shows are outdoors and the only circuits available are GFCI circuits which do not tolerate sound reinforcement systems to well. Normally I will connect to a 220v/50amp range receptacle which is connected to my non-gfci distro box and everything works well.
Recently on 2 different jobs, I ran into a GFCI 220v 50amp receptacle. As soon as I inserted my plug into this outlet, the GFCI breaker tripped immediately. Obviously I could not use this outlet. We ended up running heavy extension cords into a building that had non-GFCI outlets. I have spoken with many audio engineers regarding this along with the manufacturers of my equipment. Almost all of them suggest not using GFCI circuits. Most large musical venues provide non-GFCI ciruits for sound reinforcement and stage lighting systems.

My question it, is there a way to temporarily bypass a GFCI circuit breaker?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.\

Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-13, 06:44 AM
Group Moderator
Have you considered using a generator? What about an isolation transformer?

Old 04-07-13, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
I know exactly what you are saying and unfortunately the answer is no.

In your setup there must be ground and neutral touching or connected. Probably something to look into anyway. With a sound system..... a ground to neutral connections usually guarantees a ground loop and hum.

I haven't run into any venues recently where the house supplies a GFI receptacle. I run all my distro's from direct power and I never run the amps on GFI protection. I do use GFI circuits to feed the back line equipment.