welding machine electrical issue

Old 04-08-13, 12:50 PM
welding machine electrical issue

Not sure if this is the right section of if anyone can help me. I have a miller syncrowave 250 welding power supply. It welds AC or DC and has high frequency for certain types of welding. For some reason it was giving me full power and buring through material and I could not make any ampreage output adjustments. I took it to an electrical motor place to be checked and they said the Hollow device needs to be replaced with a very healthy price. I took it back and looked up the parts diagram to see what part was bad and I dont see anything called a hollow device. I even asked an electrian I know and he said he didnt know what they were talking about. Is this just a term so I wouldnt know a simple switch or part being replaced? Do a few different parts make up a hollow device? Is a hollow device known as something else? I do not plan on doint the replacement but want to know whats being done.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-13, 01:09 PM
Welcome to the forums!

they said the Hollow device needs to be replaced with a very healthy price. I took it back and looked up the parts diagram to see what part was bad and I dont see anything called a hollow device. I even asked an electrian I know and he said he didnt know what they were talking about. Is this just a term so I wouldnt know a simple switch or part being replaced?
They may have been talking about the hall device HD1. Do you have the owner's manual?

Old 04-08-13, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
I was looking at the schematic for that unit. That is not a user friendly serviceable unit.

Old 04-10-13, 10:02 AM
yes I have a copy of the owners manual. Thats what was so confusing. If I saw a part there with the same name I could undersatnd it. The paper work just said replace hollow device. Im like what is that and was not given an explanation. I could understand if it was some assembly or something but when I ask an electrician and he says got me I wonder.

Old 04-10-13, 10:08 AM
So you think they mean item 14 the transducer in diagram 7-1 would be what they are saying. Is a transducer also refered to as a hall device. From the picture it doesnt seem that would justify $1500 to replace.