simple question

Old 04-12-13, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
simple question

Why are GFCI's being installed upside down these days? [Ground prong at top... above the two straight prongs] Have also seen some regular outlets installed that way also.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 04:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Technically there is no right side up with receptacles. We put grounding lugs up in commercial applications, but down in residential. Since there presently is no code call for it, it is up to the installer and his imagination.

Old 04-12-13, 05:26 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I always thought it was ground pin on the bottom (may be a code thing here, donno).
This way if a cord is pulled, tripped on, etc, generally the bottom pin would be the last to leave the receptical.

Regardless, who ever redid all the wiring in my current home had no standards. My recepticals are either sideways (most of the main floor), ground pin at the top (most of the recepticals that are not sideways), and some with the ground pin at the bottom.

Old 04-12-13, 05:40 AM
Some AHJ's locally are requiring ground up.

Old 04-12-13, 06:06 AM
I remember someone telling me a story several years ago about a discussion he had with an inspector. The inspector's point of view was that if a plug was not fully seated and a piece of metal leaning against the wall slid down, it would fall on the ground prong and not the hot blades. After hearing that, I installed a few with ground up but soon went back to the other way. The face just looked so unnatural with the eyes on the bottom and mouth on top.

Old 04-12-13, 06:23 AM
Received 16 Votes on 15 Posts
I remember someone telling me a story several years ago about a discussion he had with an inspector. The inspector's point of view was that if a plug was not fully seated and a piece of metal leaning against the wall slid down, it would fall on the ground prong and not the hot blades. After hearing that, I installed a few with ground up but soon went back to the other way. The face just looked so unnatural with the eyes on the bottom and mouth on top.
I wonder how often the inspector leaned pieces of metal against the wall.

Definitely agree with the bolded text. I'm considering going through my house and flipping all the upside down faces.

Old 04-12-13, 08:18 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Four things a polite electrician never discusses: politics, religion, which side is up, which side is left if mounted horizontal.

Old 04-12-13, 10:03 AM
... things a polite electrician never discusses... which side is left if mounted horizontal.
It's obvious; same direction an American Flag is supposed to be hung vertically across a street.

The receptacles in my office are all "upside down". I want to change them all but I think my boss would be upset (and/or think that I have CDO)

Old 04-12-13, 10:17 AM
Thanks much for the answers. I put my GFCI's in the kitchen upside down and gonna leave them. Started to do the others in the rest of the house, but when I went to plug in a molded L shape cord it was very awkward ... the cord went straight up the wall and then curves back towards the floor.. lol .. not the way it was intended.

Thanks again. Gonna go hang some sheet metal on the walls then lay on top of my doghouse.

Have a good un!

Old 04-12-13, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
and/or think that I have CDO
Nice, I tell people I have CDO as well - like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order as they should be

Old 04-12-13, 11:20 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Nah, you just have dyslexia in addition to obsessive-compulsive disorder.

Old 04-12-13, 11:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Wouldn't that mean I'd have COD? Which is bad, 'cause I hate fish and paying extra for cash on delivery.

OK, that was way off-topic, I'll quit now.