Knob and tube wiring and updated mix

Old 04-12-13, 06:44 PM
Knob and tube wiring and updated mix

I want to replace the k & t wiring on the 2nd floor of my 90 year old house. The wires running to the master bedroom seem to All be controlled by the main in the box. I shut off every 15 and 20 amp breaker individually and the power to the bedroom never shut off until I tripped the main. A line runs from the 110 box to an older box that only has only junctions of new wiring and k and t. No fuses in this box. Circuit breakers in the main box only.

My question is the running of new wires to the second floor. I have a clear shot from the attic to the basement in the space where the chimney is. Is it permissible and safe to use this opening to run the new lines? The fireplace is used.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-13, 06:55 PM
Can you take pictures of the main panel and the junction box with the old and new wiring? preferably with the covers removed.I wouldn't recommend running wires up next to the chimney,I don't think it's code unless they're BX cables or in conduit,even then I'm not really sure.You would have to ask the professionals on here to be certain.Jerseymatt,PCboss or Casual Joe would be the ones to contact about codes.

Last edited by Dodgeman70; 04-12-13 at 07:07 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 04-12-13, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I have a clear shot from the attic to the basement in the space where the chimney is. Is it permissible and safe to use this opening to run the new lines? The fireplace is used.
How much space do you have next to the chimney?

The wires running to the master bedroom seem to All be controlled by the main in the box. I shut off every 15 and 20 amp breaker individually and the power to the bedroom never shut off until I tripped the main.
Did you shut off all of the branch circuit breakers at the same time, so that only the main breaker was on?

A line runs from the 110 box to an older box that only has only junctions of new wiring and k and t. No fuses in this box. Circuit breakers in the main box only.
Not sure what you mean by "the 110 box." You don't have 110V power in your house. You have a 120/240V single-phase service.

If you're saying that there is a cable that connects the older box - possibly the original fuse box that was abandoned when the new panel was installed - to the new panel, then turn the main breaker off, remove the front cover of the new panel, determine where and how the wires in that connecting cable are terminated, and post that information.

Note: The wires feeding your main panel from the meter, and the terminals they're connected to, will still be hot with the main breaker off. Just look inside the panel, and try to avoid reaching in to move or adjust any wires.