Converting a multi combo switch into a timer?

Old 04-15-13, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting a multi combo switch into a timer?

I have a multi combo switch that controls my outdoor deck lights. I would like to replace the combo switch with a timer so the lights go on automatically. Can I just pigtail the two wires that connect to the combo switch and connect it to the timer since they already share the same power source?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-13, 12:40 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the timer need a neutral? Do you have a neutral in the switch box?

Old 04-15-13, 01:09 PM
I believe it will need a neutral wire which are in the box tied of with a wire nut not currently connected to anything. Here is the wiring layout to a GE SunSmart Digital Timer which I have for the front of the house already:
a) Connect the hot/live wire of line to the black wire from Timer.
b) Connect the hot/live wire of load to the blue wire from Timer.
c) Connect the ground wire to the green wire from Timer.
d) Connect the neutral wire to the white wire from the timer. Often the neutral (white) wire can be
found in the back of the wire box connected with a wire nut. There may be several neutral wires
bound together. Add the neutral to all neutral wires bound together making sure wire nut is tight.
e) For single pole installation attach wire nut to red (traveler) wire from the back of the timer. This wire is not needed in the single pole installation.

Old 04-15-13, 03:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums!

Can I just pigtail the two wires that connect to the combo switch and connect it to the timer since they already share the same power source?
A pigtail is a short piece of the same gauge and color wire that is added to a splice to connect to a device. Is that what yu're asking about?

I would like to replace the combo switch with a timer so the lights go on automatically.
What do you mean by a combo switch? Does it contain a receptacle and one switch or two switches or...?

You can connect the timer to the wiring by following the directions you posted. All you need to know is which of the two wires on the switch is the hot feed and which is the load. Do you know that, or do you know how to find out which is which?

Old 04-15-13, 08:05 PM
The combo switch is two switches in the same bay of the wall box. The connection has a the hot wire, grounding wire, and then two separate connections for leads (wires) to the lights. I want to combine these two wires and hook to a timer so all the lights go on at the same time. I uploaded a pic. The combo switch is on the left.

Attached Images  
Old 04-16-13, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The connection has a the hot wire, grounding wire, and then two separate connections for leads (wires) to the lights. I want to combine these two wires and hook to a timer so all the lights go on at the same time.
Yes, you can do that.

It sounds like the timer you bought has wires coming out of it for connections, rather than terminal screws. Add the blue lead from the timer to the splice where you're combining the two wires for the light loads.

Old 04-16-13, 10:39 AM
Yes it does. I figured that's all I had to do, but I wanted to check.

Thanks for your help.