Power on both sides of a switch

Old 04-16-13, 12:13 PM
Power on both sides of a switch

Hi guys I went to change out my bathroom light fixture with a new one and then the trouble started. I connected the wires to the new fixture and nothing, so I started to unhook to check my connections and I noticed a small tingle when I touched the hot, I was just using the switch in the off position. So I got out my meter and with the switch on I get 120v and in the off I get 60v. I thought it could be a bad switch and tried a brand new one and I get the same. The switch is a lighted switch and I noticed the light on the switch is not on either. I am really stumped and any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-13, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
A switch when off should read 120 volts between the terminals so that is normal. If you were using a cheap digital multimeter then the 60 volts may be just its sensitivity to induced voltages and/or a dying battery.

Old 04-16-13, 02:37 PM
What are you checking on the switch? Are you checking line to neutral? Or did you check line in to the switch to line out?

And I agree with the above, check the batteries in the meter and save up for a meter that does true RMS.

Old 04-16-13, 03:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Never remove power from an appliance/light, etc. from the switch alone. It could be a switch loop in which case the power is at the fixture. Always remove power at the breaker.

Old 04-16-13, 03:57 PM
Turn the breaker off and pull the switch out of the wall with the wires still attached. Does the switch have two black wires terminated to it and two white wires spliced together behind it, or does it have one black wire and one white wire terminated to it?