Adding another light to 3-way switch

Old 02-08-01, 12:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Help...

I have a 3-way switch as follows:

power source -> switch 1 -> light fixture -> switch 2.

I would like to add another light fixture in between switch 1 and 2. Should I do it in parallel, or in series?

Thanks
David

Old 02-08-01, 07:43 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The "parallel" vs. "series" question is ambiguous. Consider a string of outlets. The outlets are wired electrically in parallel, but the cable connects them in series. So I won't answer your question directly.

The cabling (not the wiring) will look like a "T". Don't change the existing wire connections, i.e., don't disconnect a single thing that is connected now! Just add a new 12/2 (or 14/2 -- match existing size) cable from light#1 to light#2. At light#1 connect the black and white of the new cable to the same wire nuts that connect the black and white of light#1 (you may need larger wire nuts). Don't mess with any wires just passing through the box at light#1.

Old 02-08-01, 10:02 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks john,

It sounds like you are suggesting parallel, which by my "definition", is connecting ONE Cable(includes black & white) from light 1 to light 2 (matching the wire colors of course).

The two lights are either 100watts or 60 watts light bulbs, and I just wasn't sure what that meant to the current and intensity of the lightbulbs when I turn the switch on.

David

Old 02-08-01, 03:45 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
The switch system is in series but the lights would be parllel. As John said this question would not affect his advice. What he said is accurate and simple that will work.

The added light bulbs to the circuit should make no difference unless you add up more than 600 watts and you are controling those lights with a 600 watt dimmer. Then you may have to upgrade a size in the dimmer. Breaker should handle the lights without noticing it as long as you total wattage does not exceed about 2000 watts of light bulbs or other loads on that circuit.

Good Luck

Wg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: