Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

new 200 amp direct burial service how do you connect meter socket to breaker box

new 200 amp direct burial service how do you connect meter socket to breaker box

Old 04-20-13, 06:17 AM

Hello. My first post here. Any help will be appreciated. Were building a small cottage. Our electric company is Nyseg in NY. From the main pole on the road we are instructed to dig in ground 18" and bury 4/0 direct burial aluminum in 2" conduit to a ring less meter socket that sits on a wooden station 20' in our field between the pole and the cottage. And then we need to wire the meter socket to a 200 amp square d breaker box that bolts to the wood next to the meter socket. My question is how to connect the meter socket to the breaker box. When connected the electric company will come out and install their meter and hook up the electric.Do I need a meter socket with a hole in the side to run wires to the breaker box. Also not sure the difference between a ring less meter socket and one with a ring. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 07:06 AM
200 Amp service

Is this SQD breaker box you mention the service disconnect only?if so your best bet would be to buy a meter socket/disconnect all in one,most sockets today are ringless just request it when you purchase it for sure.

Old 04-20-13, 07:18 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

First off I believe that almost all meter sockets sold today are ringless, as I have not seen/installed and new ones. (Removed plenty of old ones) The difference is in the meter itself. A ringed meter has a ring that help hold it in place in the meter socket. Ringless does not.

To connect the socket to the outdoor panel, all you need is some type of fitting or conduit. You can use an offset nipple, a made up PVC (gray) short nipple with some connectors. I recommend using plastic to avoid the extra step of bonding around any Knock outs. (KO)

You will either have to knock out the correct size holes in the side of the meter and panel using the per punched KOs, or you will need to make your own. I recommend 2" conduit/fittings.

Old 04-20-13, 12:45 PM
we are instructed to dig in ground 18" and bury 4/0 direct burial aluminum in 2" conduit
Although I have seen this done, it doesn't make much sense to use direct burial wire if it is going to be in conduit. Most power companies usually specify a larger size conduit than the code requires for ease of installation. I'd use 2 1/2" conduit if it were me.

Old 04-20-13, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the help. How do I wire them together?

Old 04-21-13, 07:52 PM
ramskg

Thanks for the help. How do I wire them together?
From the meter socket to the main service panel adjacent to it, use 2 hots and 1 neutral. If you are using aluminum the minimum sizes would be 4/0 for the 2 hots and 2/0 for the neutral. Is that the question you were asking? There is more to a service, ask specifics and someone will answer your questions for you.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 04-21-13 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo