House not grounded?

Old 04-20-13, 11:17 AM
House not grounded?

Separated from Grounding issues

My house is 50 yrs old. recently i had a cable guy come to install internet. He refused. He said the house was not "grounded". How could I and others have lived there all these years, without an problems? We have always had cable or satellite and computers, etc. Will installing a GFI fix my problem? And would I do only one? and where would I install it? I watched the video on here on how to put it into the breaker panel, but not sure at what location. Thanks...All my outlets only have 2 holes.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 04-20-13 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Put "what" into a breaker panel? A GFCI breaker? It is not providing the grounding the cable guy is referring to. Have you removed or do you feel comfortable in removing the cover to the breaker panel? DON'T do it if you have any problems with it. Leave it to an electrician. We would be better able to help you if you could post a picture or two of the inside of your breaker panel (not close ups) as well as where the service entrance is made at the meter base.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-20-13, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Your house, and service, is grounded through the grounded conductor (neutral) of the service. What he is likely looking for is a ground rod, and/or a grounding electrode conductor going to the homes water service. These can be added with a fairly minimal cost.

Old 04-20-13, 12:39 PM
House not grounded

What made him think the house was not grounded? Seems like the house was built in the '60's, it's hard to believe it is not grounded.

Old 04-20-13, 12:41 PM
Welcome to the forums, Julie!

recently i had a cable guy come to install internet. He refused. He said the house was not "grounded".
If your house was built in 1963 then your electrical system is most likely grounded to earth. You can hire an electrician to check that out for you or, if you're comfortable with looking inside your electrical panel, with the main breaker off, we can advise you on checking for that yourself.

All my outlets only have 2 holes.
What you don't have, apparently, is equipment grounding conductors, or "ground wires," to provide a path to ground from the receptacles, switches and light fixtures in the house. Or another means, such as metal conduit. The 2-slot receptacles are a tip-off for that.

If so, the best way to improve the situation is to run new wiring that includes an EGC, or to run new, separate grounding conductors from your main panel for each circuit. Depending on how your house is constructed and wired, that might not be too difficult to do. But, as you suggest, there is an alternative:
Will installing a GFI fix my problem? And would I do only one? and where would I install it?
Installing GFCI protection is a code-compliant method of adding the life safety that a grounding conductor provides. It will not provide a path to earth for the appliances that you plug in, but it will guard against electrical shock. It will also allow you to "legally" replace your existing 2-slot receptacles with 3-slot receptacles.

The simplest way to add GFCI protection to your system is to replace the first receptacle (the one closest to the panel) in each circuit with a GFCI receptacle. If you do that, and connect the panel feed wires to the LINE terminals and the wires feeding the rest of the receptacles or lights to the LOAD terminals. then you can replace all of the other receptacles on that circuit with 3-slot grounding receptacles.

Adding the GFCI protection at the first receptacle box on a circuit has the advantage of keeping the circuit breakers available for adding Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter, or AFCI, protection there. Your hose also doesn't have that now, but it should, and that protection needs to start from the panel.

We can advise you on doing this work yourself, if you're interested.

Old 04-20-13, 12:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would expect the panel to be grounded. Grounding has been required for many years.

Branch circuit grounding is different than panel grounding and serves a different purpose.

Adding a GFI does not add a ground.

Old 04-20-13, 01:02 PM
Sounds like you had "Larry the Cable Guy" at your house! If he was puzzled because you had no ground rod it's probably because you don't have one, they were not required back in the '60s. That, however, does not mean your house isn't grounded. You most likely have your service grounded to a cold water pipe.

Old 05-03-13, 10:50 AM
Smile re: House not grounded

Thanks to ALL of you who responded to my electrical ground problem. I had my electrician over and he said the same thing about it being an "equipment" ground issue for Time Warner, not that my house was not "legal" or up to code. My electrician told me I did not need to do anything to my house. That all was safe. The house was built in 1962 The option of re wiring is expensive and not something I would do myself. He told me it was not something I needed to do.
Thank goodness and Thanks to everyone for responding. i LOVE D.I.Y. !! It has saved me so much money in so many ways for years.
Julie

Old 05-03-13, 03:31 PM
Glad you got it sorted out and recovered your peace of mind, Julie. And thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Last edited by Nashkat1; 05-03-13 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-03-13, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Now my question. Are you Jahad2 or Julie Durham? Only the Shadow knows

Old 05-03-13, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for the update. Sounds like you have a good, honest electrician there. Keep them in your contact list and share them to your friends.