electrical conduit and weather head not up to code.

Old 04-20-13, 12:10 PM
electrical conduit and weather head not up to code.

I have an older house that needs the electrical conduit and weather head raised 2 1/2 feet to meet code. But it is 1 1/2" conduit pipe on there now and I can only raise it 42" from the roof to the bottom of the weather head. Any higher and it has to be braced. I could use 2" conduit and be good up to 52".....but I haven't checked the new meter box to see if it will fit 2"....do they have knockouts for different sizes?....what kind of job am I looking at here?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-13, 12:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I am assuming this is de-energized wiring you are dealing with. If you check the top of the meter base (here, again assuming it is an exterior run up the side of your house, you may can swap the 1 1/2" plate for a 2", but you'll need to confirm that first. Then all your strapping along side the house must be changed, as well as the weatherhead itself. Why are you having to retro fit it to code. Are you remodeling it, or have you disconnected the service for some reason?

Old 04-20-13, 12:54 PM
I have an older house that needs the electrical conduit and weather head raised 2 1/2 feet to meet code. But it is 1 1/2" conduit pipe on there now and I can only raise it 42" from the roof to the bottom of the weather head. Any higher and it has to be braced. I could use 2" conduit and be good up to 52".....but I haven't checked the new meter box to see if it will fit 2"....do they have knockouts for different sizes?....what kind of job am I looking at here?
Is this a conduit mast through the roof that the power company attaches their drop to? If so, the minimum conduit size is 2". Do you have a 200 amp meter socket or a 100 amp socket? 100 amp sockets typically come with a 1 1/4" threaded hub to accept the conduit or cable and 200 amp sockets come with a 2" threaded hub. If you need to install a 2" conduit mast on a 100 amp socket, you can either use a reducing adapter to attach to the 1 1/4" hub, but I prefer just changing the hub to 2".