Submersible Pump Troubles

Old 04-22-13, 05:14 PM
Submersible Pump Troubles

Hey guys, I have an aerobic system in my back yard with a 1/2hp 2 wire submersible pump with two floats that clean the tank out. Well lately, I've been having some issues with the pump not running, so I was under the impression the pump might have burned up. I went to Tractor Supply and purchased the exact same pump to replace it.

Now here is where the trouble starts. Somebody did some sketchy wiring to the whole system. I believe the pump is set up for a three wire system. There is a yellow, red, and black wire along with the ground (which i guess you don't count?) coming out of the top of the tank. However, the pump that I took out was a two wire pump that somebody rigged to work with the three wire system. I would rather not have to buy another pump. I already connected the new pump to some of the wiring before I realized what was wrong. Is there any way to make the two wire pump work with the three wire system? There are also two floats that go along with the system that have me thrown for a loop. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-13, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

The pump would only be two wires.
It sounds like the three wires you are seeing are coming from the floats. It would be customary for those three wires to go to a relay or control box at which point the power would be brought in.

In most cases the float(s) can not run a pump directly as they can not handle the inrush current of the motor. If yours wires from float directly to pump and your old pump was not working....you may have a defective float.

At the present time will stick to the actual power wiring..... I'm sure you know where the ground goes.

You mentioned the three colored wires above. Is there also power wiring here ?

Old 04-22-13, 06:33 PM
The three wires I was referring to, I believe, are the wires that are bringing in the electricity to the pump (the black, yellow, and red wires). I've tested the wires and the black wire seems to be the hot wire.

This is how the pump/wiring is set up now: The green wire (ground wire) from the pump is running straight to the ground at the top of the tank. Now, there are two black wires that come from the pump also (two power wires?). One of these wires is running straight to float #1. The other is running straight to the red wire at the top of the tank. Float #1 has the black wire coming in and a yellow wire coming out. The yellow wire y's off. The yellow wire runs into float #2 and also goes into another larger wire that connects to the yellow wire at the top of the tank. Then the other black wire comes out of float #2 and connects into a larger wire that connects to the black wire (hot wire) at the top of the tank. Now, is there a difference in the two black/power wires running out of the pump? Could that be the problem? Maybe I have them mismatched?

Hope this helps explain the situation a little better

Old 04-22-13, 09:36 PM
The three wires I was referring to, I believe, are the wires that are bringing in the electricity to the pump (the black, yellow, and red wires). I've tested the wires and the black wire seems to be the hot wire.
Why do you believe these three wires are the feeders between your panel and the pump, and how did you test them for power?

Old 04-22-13, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Yes....we're going to need a little more info.

Do you know what float one does ?
Do you know what float two does ?
Is your new pump 240 vac ?

Name:  FLOAT.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  14.9 KB