Can this ceiling box be removed?

Old 04-23-13, 11:56 AM
Can this ceiling box be removed?

take a look at the picture.

This is from my home built in 1900 with several overhauls done by others through the years. The wire coming into the box is old NM (some with the cloth covering and some with soft plastic covering) with undersized ground that was wrapped around the clamp that holds wire in the box. I tried grabbing that center piece and turning it but it didn't move. Before I put more torque on it wanted to make sure it comes off?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-13, 12:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Bill, I have never seen one without a screw slot to remove that nut on the center stud. I might try and remove it similar to tightening or loosening a locknut. See this thread for the ones I have seen.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-fan-help.html

I was over your way just a few weeks ago. Would like to see your project.

Last edited by pcboss; 04-23-13 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-23-13, 01:58 PM
All boxes were installed ans all boxes can be removed - the only question is what needs to be done to make that happen.

I'm like PC on this one - it's not a critter I've encountered before. That said, here are some things come to mind. One is that you seem to have access to the space above it, since you describe the cables that feed the box. Can you get any more clues on how it's mounted by looking there?

Another is that the piece that looks like three fan blades may be a nut that's run onto the threaded piece (I think this is what PC was suggesting). Or maybe the ears on that need to be pried fown a little?

The final one is that I think I'm seeing two slotted screw heads half under the leaves of the "fan." Is that what those are, and could they be part of the mounting?

Old 04-24-13, 04:08 PM
well I tried to turn it but no luck. it moves about maybe 1/16 turn back and forth but that is it. Tried to squeeze it with channel locks but that did nothing. I do not have access above. the attic above is only about 1 foot high so that is not option. I can see the undersized ground from below and I have the drywall removed from some of the walls so I can trace the wires I found in wall to this box by continuity testing. Those screws are just to mount the bar that then holds the fixture in place. there aren't any screws below the "ears"-those are just holes with some cobwebs in them. I may try to cut down one of wifes makeup mirrors and shove it through one of the 1/2" knockouts to see what I can see?

so where were you working pcboss? I'm in ellicott city.

Old 04-24-13, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
There may be a box brace between the joists. See if you can feel it by slipping a hacksaw blade alongside the box. If you can feel it on each side cut it with a Sawzall and cross your fingers you don't nick a cable. (Don't insert the Sawzall blade any more the absolutely necessary.)

Old 04-24-13, 05:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was working at Crossroads church in EC.

Old 04-24-13, 05:40 PM
wanted to just remove it to fish my wire from switch and to remove and tape all old wire which will just be pushed up in attic. but may end up cutting like you said if I can't figure out how to remove it.

before I get responses I figured I should clarify that all the old cables will be dead. Didn't want people to think I was shoving live cable ends up in attic!

Old 04-25-13, 01:50 PM
may end up cutting like you said if I can't figure out how to remove it.

before I get responses I figured I should clarify that all the old cables will be dead. Didn't want people to think I was shoving live cable ends up in attic!
That's reassuring!

The more I've thought about this, the more convinced that that boss in the middle of the box doesn't have anything to do with how it's mounted. It might be there for mounting other things onto, like a hickey for a chandelier. But who knows?

At this point I would do what I could to see where the framing is in relation to this box. With a stud finder and with a hand-held hacksaw blade. It kinds looks, in your picture, like there's a joist right next to it, looking between the red and white wires at 7:00. If so, the box may have a bracket that is attached to that joist.

Then I'd get out the sawzall.

Old 05-07-13, 07:56 AM
well I did get out sawzall and cut the bar and removed the box. once I did and saw the top I realized that it was NOT coming out any other way. The center thing went up through box on two sides to form a "U" around the mounting bar. then there was tab that tightened up the box when pulled down. so the box slid when loosened, but it could not be removed. put up plastic one with tabs and I'm good to go. thanks.

Old 05-07-13, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Just to satisfy curiosity could you post a picture of the top?

Old 05-07-13, 10:43 AM
will do. I had taken picture, but it was so blurry I didn't post it. will take another.

Old 05-07-13, 11:10 AM
can't find the box? maybe pitched it in trash. if find it will post pic.