Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

trying to wire a garbage disposal/switch off dishwasher wire

Old 04-27-13, 05:23 PM

Hoping someone can help me understand why the breaker keeps blowing.

Live wire comes out of wall and goes to dishwasher directly - works fine. So I took another piece of 14/2 wire and attached it (with merets) to the wires inside the wiring box of the dishwasher, then ran that wire back through the cabinet to under the sink. There, I connected the wire to a regular light switch inside a box, grounded it all, and also connected another piece of 14/2 wire to those wires on the switch, and these wires will be connected to the garbage disposal. But the breaker blows instantly. What gives?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-13, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Normally you would take the wire out of the dishwasher and go to a junction box and then send it back to the dishwasher. The dishwasher junction box is kind of small and only rated for one power cable.

That aside.... you branched off the dishwasher and went to your junction box with receptacle.
Then you took an additional piece of cable and went to a switch.

At the switch you will have a white and black wire. The white should be taped another color so that it's not mistaken for a neutral wire.

In your main junction box.... the white from the dishwasher should go to the silver screw of the receptacle. The black coming from the dishwasher should go to the black that goes to the switch.

The white wire....which you've taped another color (even black is fine) should go to the gold/brass screw of the receptacle.

After all that.....you really shouldn't be splitting a 15 amp circuit for two units like that. They really should be on their own circuit or splitting a 20 amp circuit.

Just make sure you don't use the disposer with the dishwasher running or the circuit may trip.

Old 04-29-13, 01:37 PM
The breaker won't hold because you've created a dead short somewhere. It's probably in the wiring box in the dishwasher which, as PJ said, "is kind of small and only rated for one power cable," but it could also be in the box you mounted, or the wires in the cable you ran for the garbage disposal, but didn't connect, could be touching.

If you found 14-2/G wiring and extended that, either this is a 15A circuit or the wire is undersized for it. If it's a 15A circuit,
Originally Posted by PJmax
you really shouldn't be splitting a 15 amp circuit for two units like that. They really should be on their own circuit or splitting a 20 amp circuit.
If it's a 20A circuit, you should be using 12-2/G cabling, not 14-2.

I connected the wire to a regular light switch inside a box, grounded it all, and also connected another piece of 14/2 wire to those wires on the switch, and these wires will be connected to the garbage disposal.
The control switch for the garbage disposal needs to be above the counter, not inside a base cabinet.

Old 04-29-13, 06:54 PM
That aside.... you branched off the dishwasher and went to your junction box with receptacle
PJ, he said switch, that might be part of his problem.

So I took another piece of 14/2 wire and attached it (with merets) to the wires inside the wiring box of the dishwasher, then ran that wire back through the cabinet to under the sink. There, I connected the wire to a regular light switch

Old 04-29-13, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Methinks he may have wired the switch like an outlet, with white to one side of the switch and black to the other, rather than connecting only one wire through the switch.