Recessed Niche for Electrical Inlet

Old 04-28-13, 05:06 AM
Recessed Niche for Electrical Inlet

I'm having some work done on the house - and wanted to get some ideas.

I'm thinking about having a *niche* built into my brick porch.
This niche would be for the generator inlet.
It's all CMU/Brick Construction - if it was wood, I would have had the top built at a 45 degree with the outlet mounted upside down.

Having the outlet intalled *ontop* of the niche, with the outlet facing down might look problanatic as it would have to be a big niche size in order for proper bend radius of the cable / if not being able to be see the insert/lineup of the plugs.

So, I'm thinking the outlet will just be recessed in the Niche, facing straight.

If any of you guys have any pics or ideas on how to make this better, I'd love to hear some ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-13, 06:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Interesting idea... Will the niche be on the exterior subject to weather? If so, you need to ensure you're using an exterior inlet that's either pointing downwards or has a cover.

Is there a reason you can't make an 8" wide, 12" high niche that the standard generator inlet would be mounted inside? You'd want to make sure you have enough room for your hand and knuckles without rubbing them against the rough brick. Definitely make the niche bigger than you think you need.

Old 04-28-13, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would surface mount the inlet inspite of aesthetics. I would rather have the brick veneer intact to keep the weather out.

Old 04-28-13, 06:55 AM
I have a couple ideas floating around....

I might flush mount it or niche it but I'm thinking the best location would be in the wall area that is in the stairwell area leading underneath the porch -- aka, into the basement. This area is fairly weather resistant from the elements in general as whole.

Old 04-28-13, 08:49 PM
I might flush mount it or niche it but I'm thinking the best location would be in the wall area that is in the stairwell area leading underneath the porch -- aka, into the basement. This area is fairly weather resistant from the elements in general as whole.
If the location where you mount your inlet can get wet you need a weatherproof box with a cover that's rated for use in wet locations - an in-use or "bubble" cover. If it can't get wet, ever, you can use a cover that's rated for use in a damp location.