Circuit Breaker Help

Old 04-28-13, 03:58 PM
Circuit Breaker Help

Hi everyone,
Here's my situation. I have a circuit dedicated to the pool motor. Circuit breaker box is outfitted with double breakers in each slot and the pool circuit (240v) uses 2 15a double breakers (i.e. there are 4 15a singles ganged together). This is not a new setup; it was in the house when I bought it 13 years ago and has had no new equipment added to the circuit: just the pool motor.

Here's what's happening. I see the pool not running. Check the timer and it has tripped on but there's no power (the timer clock gears are not running and the timer (it's mechanical) has stopped at the start time (presumably after tripping the motor on).

I go to the breaker box and they are not tripped in the off position. But if I flip them off and back on, the pool has power and the motor runs fine. The timer turns the motor off but the next day it does the same thing.

Faulty breakers? If so is there some way that I can test each one......or should I just replace the mess of 4? And, by the way, why 4? Should I be able to fine a single double that handles 240v at (I assume) 30w?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NuB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-13, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
And, by the way, why 4?
Not an idle question. A very important question. Are there wires to eachof the breakers. That is a total of four wires. Can you post a picture of the breaker panel with the cover removed? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

I go to the breaker box and they are not tripped in the off position.
It is normal for breakers not to go to the full off position so that at least is normal.

Old 04-28-13, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 4 breakers are actually 2 double pole breakers in the same frame. One circuit is on the inner pair while the other is on the outer pair.

The breaker is a 15 amp, not a 30. The handles are not added together.

Old 04-28-13, 08:18 PM
Picture of CB Box

OK: I'm going to see if I can attach a pic of the box. Here goes.

Name:  box2.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  50.6 KB

Old 04-28-13, 08:29 PM
Yes. That makes sense from the way that the breakers are ganged: the innermost two with the
bar through the levers and the outer two with the plate. So then we are looking at a 15a/240v
circuit? And if I have to replace, this double unit is a single purchase item, I assume.

Still, how can I tell if it is a CB problem? I'm guessing from ray2047's comment that CBs can "trip"
without actually flipping the levers.

Thanks......NuB

Old 04-28-13, 08:37 PM
That is what I call a quad circuit breaker, two separate 15 ampere 240 volt circuits. The wiring IS a bit strange, however. Normally the black wires would attach to one side and the red wires attach to the other side. The way you have it one circuit has two red wires and the other circuit has two black wires. Depending on how the wires are terminated at the load end this may be the problem.

Old 04-28-13, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
Yes....the innermost pair is supposed to be one 240v circuit and the outer pair is another 240v circuit.

HOWEVER.......

What you have wired is the two left breakers are one circuit and the right two breakers is the second circuit.

I drew the correction in below.

Attached Images  
Old 04-28-13, 08:47 PM
Group Moderator
Pros, can he have two circuits to the same place if it isn't an enclosed space?

Old 04-28-13, 08:49 PM
Group Moderator
I don't understand your question Ray.

Old 04-28-13, 09:05 PM
Group Moderator
You can't have two circuits to a detached structure so does that apply to the pool. Oops reread I guess this is a subpanel at the pool. Question withdrawn if it is.

Old 04-28-13, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like the green ground wire just passes thru the panel without actually connecting to it which would lead me to believe that it's connected with rigid pipe and that it is a sub panel.
The ground bond strap is not connected.

NuB.... why are there two 240v circuits ? One is the pump....what is the other one for ?