Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Is there a code-compliant way to splice conductors in underground conduit?

Old 04-29-13, 06:59 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I would like to relocate my pool pump switch to be closer to the house (it is currently about 20 feet away from the house in the middle of the backyard and is an eyesore). Ideally I'd like to place it about 8 feet away from the pump against the side of the house.

I've uncovered the conduit (3/4" PVC) and measured the distances and the problem is that the new proposed location is about 22 feet away from where I need to tie into the conduit, which means that I would need a total of about 30 feet of conductors (22 feet + 3 ft to get from trench to the side of the house + 3ft to get from buried depth to grade, and then place the switch 2ft above grade = 29ft). See attached diagram for layout.

One option would be to replace the conductors with appropriate lengths. However, this option would require basically destroying a beautiful flower bed that is in the way of the LB Conduit Body on the side of the house. If possible, I would like to avoid this option, even if it means throwing more money and time at the project.

Another option would be to splice ~10 feet to extend conductors to the appropriate length. I am aware of the heat shrink splice kits intended for direct bury, but being that PVC conduit is being used here to route the conductors, those direct bury kits are not an option. Is there a code-compliant way to splice conductors that will be housed in conduit?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attached Images  

Last edited by pcboss; 04-29-13 at 08:07 AM. Reason: corrected terminology
Old 04-29-13, 07:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I think you mean conductors, not connectors. If so I can edit your post for clarity.

Based on that, the conduit would be rerouted and new conductors pulled in. There is not a code compliant way to splice conductors in a conduit.

Old 04-29-13, 07:50 AM
R
Yes, I meant conductors.

Does code allow for below grade, accessible junction box that would be housed in an enclosure similar to an in-ground irrigation access box?

Old 04-29-13, 08:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A handhole box could be set flush with the grass or flower bed surface. It will probably cost more than rerouting the conduit.

Old 04-29-13, 08:31 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could always put a box on a 4*4 treated post.

Old 04-29-13, 11:40 AM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Does code allow for below grade, accessible junction box that would be housed in an enclosure similar to an in-ground irrigation access box?
I have no idea what "an in-ground irrigation access box" is, so I can't answer your question in those terms. What you can do, though, is shorten the existing conduit and shape the new conduit so that their ends wind up flush with the bottom of a 4x4 or 6x6 exterior-rated PVC box that has a gasket-sealed cover, set into your yard so that the cover is at soil level. So long as that cover remains visible and accessible, your installation should be in compliance with code requirements.

Old 04-29-13, 12:17 PM
W
"an in-ground irrigation access box" is a valve box for irrigation valves (see attached image). Is something like this permitted by code to house an exterior-rated gasket-sealed enclosure?

Attached Images  
Old 04-29-13, 01:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is similar to one of the hand hole boxes I mentioned.

The gasket does not need to seal the box, water will accumulate in the conduit.

Old 04-29-13, 02:20 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
That box will work. I'm not sure why you want to plant that in your yard, and it isn't necessary. If you're worried about breaking the PVC box, just buy one that's Schedule 80.

Old 04-29-13, 06:03 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I'm not sure what type of box would be code compliant for use inside an irrigation box. I'd use a Quazite inground junction box.

Hubbell Power Systems - Products for Electric Utilities, Telecommunications and Construction Industries

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: