Adding light switch, moving existing fixture.

Old 04-29-13, 12:59 PM
Adding light switch, moving existing fixture.

Hello all.

I have limited knowledge.

My bathroom has two light fixtures on the sides of the mirror. The ones with the on/off switches on the bottom. What I want to do is remove them. Add one vanity light to the top of the mirror and install a light switch near the entry. And have a new outlet installed as well. (Bathroom has no outlets).

I am wondering how to go about this?

Thanks so much

R

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-13, 01:02 PM
Group Moderator
First do you have a dedicated 20 amp circuit to the bathroom. The present circuit may be grandfathered but those changes usually require the wiring to be brought up to modern code.

Old 04-29-13, 01:10 PM
I'm not entirely sure. House was built in 1920.
If I turn bathroom power off in basement then three bedrooms power go as we'll.

Old 04-29-13, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have ungrounded circuits unless you have a metal conduit. Ungrounded circuits should not be extended.

New grounded wiring should be pulled.

Old 04-29-13, 02:53 PM
Doesn't sound like you have a dedicated circuit then. What does the breaker say on it? Does it have a number "15" on it anywhere or possibly "20"? The number on the breaker indicates it's amperage. However, you can't just put a 20 amp breaker in and call it good. Your wiring has to be #12 AWG on the complete circuit to use a 20 amp breaker. Your recepticals should also be 20 amp recepticals, although, I think you are OK if you put a standard 15 amp receptical in a 20 amp cicuit because you could not plug a 20 amp device into a 15 amp receptical.

Old 04-29-13, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Your recepticals should also be 20 amp recepticals
Only if there is only one place to plug in or you are in Canada. A duplex receptacle counts as more then one place to plug in.

Rjmarvin, the preceding is for now off topic to your question so you can ignore for now.

Best practice and to be code compliant you are going to need to abandon the existing bathroom wiring in place and run a new twenty amp circuit for the light and receptacle.

There are variations a local inspector might acccept but what we give you will be the best and safest way to do the job.

Old 04-29-13, 07:12 PM
House was built in 1920.
There's a good possibility you have knob & tube wiring. Do you know what that is? Can you identify it?