Electrical Current detected away from light switch

Old 04-29-13, 03:53 PM
Electrical Current detected away from light switch

Am going to be selling my house so decided to go buy a GT-12 Voltage Detector just to go around the house and make sure all outlets/switches are fine and figured it would be handy to have one on hand for future use. House was built in 2004 and had the basement wired around 2010. Got to a switch in my basement (mechanical room) where when I get within a couple inches of the outlet the voltage detector starts to beep. Then when I run it up several feet up above the switch as the wire goes up it beeps as well. I checked other outlets in that room and it doesn't beep unless I am actually touching the switch/outlet.

I did pull out the switch and from what I can tell the wires are all connected just fine. Light works just fine and I have never noticed any issues so I have no idea how long it has been like this.

My question I guess is whether this is an issue or not and if it is an issue what might be causing it.

Thanks ahead for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-13, 04:12 PM
Group Moderator
When you use a (nearly) useless tester you get useless answers. Nice science fair project for your kids but in the scheme of things your results mean nothing. Absolutely a non issue if the light works correctly. There is no way to test if a light or receptacle is working correctly with a non contact tester. It only tells you there is voltage not if the voltage is of significance or just induced with no real power. You can use a plug in tester to test a receptacle to see if it is good and wired correctly and turn a light on to see if it works.

Last edited by ray2047; 04-29-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 04:36 PM
Got to a switch in my basement (mechanical room) where when I get within a couple inches of the outlet the voltage detector starts to beep. Then when I run it up several feet up above the switch as the wire goes up it beeps as well.
It sounds like this is in an unfinished portion of your basement and that you can see and touch the cable (not the wire) as it goes to and from the switch.

If so, then it sounds like your chirp tester and your wiring are both fine. The wiring going to a switch must have power or flipping the switch would do nothing, and a non-contact voltage tester should indicate power in an exposed cable. There would only be a problem if it didn't sound off.

Of course, the light wouldn't work then either.