Adding a recipticle below an existing one!

Old 04-30-13, 07:40 AM
Adding a recipticle below an existing one!

I am hooking up a under the counter freezer, and the box now is above the counter top, with that said. I want to run a line down 2 -3 feet down the wall and add a box and plugs behind the freezer.
Here is a picture of the work space and to give you an idea what I am talking about.

In the current box as you can see the black and white are preseed into the back of the recpticle, i can cut the hole and install the box, and run the wire, im just not sure how to hook the recipticle up so its on the same line as the box and plugs above the counter top!

any help would be excellent! Lets call the box above the countertop box 1, and the new one i am installing box 2. I just need to know how and where to hook up the wires.

Name:  photo 1.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  25.2 KBName:  photo 2.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  28.1 KBName:  photo 3.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  23.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-13, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
In the current box as you can see the black and white are preseed into the back of the recpticle, i can cut the hole and install the box, and run the wire, im just not sure how to hook the recipticle up so its on the same line as the box and plugs above the counter top!
Those backstabs are less reliable than screws. Even if you weren't adding a receptacle we would suggest moving to the screws.
  • You could just leave them backstabbed and connect the new wires to the screws on the receptacle.
  • Better put all wires, new and old, on the screws.
  • Best connect the old and new wires and a pigtail in a wire nut and connect the pigtail to the existing receptacle.
If this is in a kitchen the receptacles need to be GFCI protected.

Old 04-30-13, 09:07 AM
so it is as simple as hooking the black to the brass and the white to the silver from recepticle 1 to recepticle 2 ? Thats is ?

I will cut the wires on the back and hook them up to the screws! I just wanted to make sure!

So, on the recepticle above the counter top I will cut the wires and put them on the top screws, then hook a wire on the bottom screws that will lead to the bottom recepticle ? and obviously hook up the ground wires

Old 04-30-13, 09:11 AM
I actually just cut the hole in the wall, and ran a piece of wire, got the new box installed in the wall and got the ground wires(green) hooked up just want to make sure that if I put the wires on the bottom screws, and then same on the new recepticle I am installing this is the safe way to go about this!

Old 04-30-13, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
so it is as simple as hooking the black to the brass and the white to the silver from receptacle 1 to recepticle 2
Yes.

got the ground wires(green)
This should have been done with NM-cable (AKA Romex). NM-b does not have a green wire. Can you clarify?

Old 04-30-13, 11:11 AM
I may be wrong, but I don't think that extending a counter-top receptacle (small appliance branch circuit) to serve a (more or less) fixed under-counter appliance is code compliant. Maybe one of the electricians will know for certain.

Old 04-30-13, 11:18 AM
Group Moderator
Furd you have a point. I was looking at it like a refrigerator but if it is bolted in place the 50% rule might apply if not the countertop receptacle rule.