Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

help please: 2 bulbs blew out at same time in same room, now won't work

Old 05-01-13, 11:34 PM

I turned on a light switch and the two bulbs in the ceiling recessed fixtures in that room blew out at the same time. I replaced the bulbs and now the light won't turn on at all. I checked the circuit breaker switch, and also disassembled the lightswitch and crossed the leads by hand: still no lights coming on. any ideas? do I need to call an electrician? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-13, 01:10 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Did you turn the circuit breaker all the way off before turning it on? When a breaker trips the handle is in between off and on, and it will have to be turned off before it can be reset.

Did you test the two bulbs by screwing them into a lampholder that works? Maybe in a table lamp?

Since nothing else went off, you probably didn't blow the circuit. What else is off when you turn the breaker off? It's also doubtful that both of these bulbs burned out at the same time, but testing them will tell us that.

The likeliest explanation is that you lost one of the connections at the first fixture. Turn the power off and check the connections there.

Old 05-02-13, 03:55 AM
I am not an electrician but can tell you that not long ago I had an experience with a breaker going off but actually never looking like it was off with a dryer circuit. First time I have ever seen that at all, I had bought a new dryer and it didn't work I look at the breaker and it says on. So the installer says why not turn the breaker off and then back on. The dryer worked after that and still is at my rental house that I rent to a family. I know though the breaker will have to be replaced eventually and I will probably call our electrician soon.

Old 05-02-13, 08:21 AM
I should also note that the bulbs sort of flashed bright before they went out, so it looked like they "blew" out, didn't just go out. Does this help clarify the situation?

Thanks for all the responses.

Old 05-02-13, 11:39 AM
I should also note that the bulbs sort of flashed bright before they went out, so it looked like they "blew" out, didn't just go out. Does this help clarify the situation?
No. Your testing those two bulbs in a socket with known good power will do more to help clarify the situation. In addition, your checking at the first failed fixture in the series, coming from the switch - or the last good one before the first failed one should help. See Troubleshooting a dead receptacle or light...

I'll just note that losing the grounded conductor - the neutral - will usually create abnormally high voltage on the associated ungrounded conductors (the hot wires). My advice is to double- and triple-check every neutral splice you can find in this run. IOW, the bulbs may be burned out, and it may be due to a lost or failing neutral connection.

Old 05-03-13, 05:42 AM
Did you do any work on that circuit before the bulbs burned out?

You should test the voltage on that circuit (sockets need not have bulbs in them) and also check the voltage at receptacles throughout the house while you plug a hair dryer in (may be into the other half of the duplex receptacle where you are measuring). Specifically you want to notice any significant voltage changes as you turn the hair dryer on.

This will point out whether you have loose neutral problems.

Old 05-03-13, 06:15 AM
Are these line voltage lights or low voltage? May need to replace the transformers if low voltage.