Need new Smoke detectors

Old 05-02-13, 02:48 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need new Smoke detectors

Hi, I hope I've posted this in the right spot. I am in need of new hard wired interconnected smoke alarms. I am looking for the dual sensor ones. (Inonization and photo electric combo unit).
Seen a show in how you should have both. I decided, after my aunts house burnt down and they almost didn't make it out due to smoke alarm not working or no battery that its time I replace mine. Anyone able to recommend a really good brand?

Thanks.

Old 05-02-13, 03:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! We don't advocate one brand over another on the forum. You have set your criteria and know what you want. I should think a good internet search or a physical store search should give you the results you are after.

Old 05-02-13, 03:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
I have not heard of one brand being any better or worse than the others. Look for ones with the features you want.

Old 05-02-13, 06:55 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I think any recommendation of one brand over another would be personal preference anyway and that could be because of what brand the local distributor carrys.

Old 05-02-13, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
You'll find Kidde products reasonably priced, fairly reliable and available from most big box stores as well as most electrical supply houses.

Old 05-03-13, 06:18 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I think just having working smoke detectors is the best solution. They are all UL listed, so you're pretty much covered. You'll pay more for the dual-sensor type, but it's probably a good investment.

As long as you get a name brand, battery backup, and replace the batteries yearly, you are on the right track.

While you're at it, make sure you have working fire extinguishers too

Old 05-03-13, 07:58 AM
N
Received 21 Upvotes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
A side note to your question, hardwired smoke detectors are now required for all new construction. This may not be an issue for you, but it's now code (for a reason).

While you're at it, make sure you have working fire extinguishers too
Just to take this one step further... Make sure it's located near the exit for the room(s) you most likely would use it. Don't cheap out on these and get the plastic head extinguishers. They leak, are not refillable and will be useless in no time. I went through 2 in my garage before I learned this. Didn't get a year out of either one. Decided to try the second one when it was no good. Not enough pressure to coat a running shoe.

Old 05-04-13, 03:34 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the replies and welcomes I picked up a couple of the Kidde dual sensor ones. I wished I had hardwired detectors in each bedroom, however, code here when my house was built was only a detector on each level.

Anyone used the First Alert one link wireless smoke detectors? Thinking of installing them in each bedroom. I will have to pick up a couple of fire extinguishers.

Old 05-04-13, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
If you have an attic above the existing wired smoke detectors as well as where you would like to install new ones you may be able to run wire from the old location to the new ones.

Old 05-05-13, 06:53 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Anyone used the First Alert one link wireless smoke detectors?
Are those the hardwire or battery detectors that wirelessly interconnect? If so, I've only seen them in the Kidde brand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: