panel box

Old 05-05-13, 08:11 PM
panel box

If you have a older 70s home and it has main breaker box in bathroom can it remain there when sold or is it requirement that it be relocated?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 12:20 AM
Group Moderator
That's a real good question and I'm not sure how to answer it. I don't think you have to move it until you upgrade. Where is the meter in relation to the service ?

I worked in a private development where most of the houses had a 60A service in a second floor closet. When the services were upgraded to 100A we were required to move them to the basement or garage.

Old 05-06-13, 05:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is probably grandfathered in its current location. Changing it would typically require it to be moved.

Old 05-06-13, 07:24 AM
The meter is on outside of where box is.at one time it was remodeled ,not sure when,and it looks as if the box stayed where it originally was.it is in ten.,but I'm not sure on code.

Old 05-06-13, 08:28 AM
Group Moderator
If the meter is directly on the other side of the wall it would be easy to switch to a surface mounted outside box.

Old 05-07-13, 07:13 AM
Will the outside moisture not have a negative effect on circuits/box if relocated?

Old 05-07-13, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
No..... it's a weatherproof enclosure that protects the wiring and breakers.
In your case, if you were to move the panel outside..... the circuits would have to be extended from the old box to the new one.

Old 05-07-13, 09:38 AM
Group Moderator
As I wrote:
to switch to a surface mounted outside box.
The outside box would be a new box rated for outside use. Some of the current cables may be long enough but as PJ said some will have to be extended. The existing box would be left accessible and gutted to be used as a junction box for those cables that needed to be extended. Either a new blank cover plate would be made for the old panel or breaker slot fillers installed in the old panels cover.