Cable connector questions.

Old 05-05-13, 08:25 PM
Cable connector questions.

Two similar questions but on opposite ends of the spectrum:
  1. I have a whole bunch of these Non-Metallic Cable Clamp Connectors. Unfortunately, I have a single BX cable I need to run into a square metal box (the box does NOT have BX connectors in it). Can I use these NM connectors for BX? Is it against code to do this?

2. I have a metal ceiling fan-rated box installed, however I need to run 4 NM cables into it when it only has 2 knockouts available. Can I mount the NM cables into the BX clamps? If not, how can I accomplish this goal without changing the box or cables?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-13, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Those NM type connectors are not rated for metallic cable so yes.....it would be against code.

That metal ceiling box in your link has provisions for 4 type NM cables. So you should be ok there. Pretty small box for four cables though.

Attached Images  
Old 05-06-13, 05:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Those connectors can accept 2 12-2 or 14-2 NM cables. You could use the 1/2" KO on the side of the box or where PJ shows.

That 8B box is good for 7 #14's or 6 #12's, before the deduction for the cable clamps built-in. Four cables gives you a conductor count of 9. The box is too small.

Old 05-06-13, 08:27 AM
That metal ceiling box in your link has provisions for 4 type NM cables. So you should be ok there. Pretty small box for four cables though.
Oh ok, I thought those were exclusively BX connectors. I'm not sure I've seen those type of NM clamps on any other box before (which is why I assume they were BX connectors). Do I need to wrap the ground wire around the cable before clamping it down or should I clamp down directly on the cable sheathing itself (bringing the ground wire into the box)?

That 8B box is good for 7 #14's or 6 #12's, before the deduction for the cable clamps built-in. Four cables gives you a conductor count of 9. The box is too small.
I was able to eliminate a cable so I'll only need three 14/2 cables now.

Old 05-06-13, 08:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The ground continues into the box and is secured to a 10-32 screw in a tappped hole. It continues past the screw to connect to all the other grounds entering the box and to any fixture grounds.

Backwrapping the ground stopped about 40 years ago. If you are talking about the bond strip in the BX cable it can be backwrapped into the spirals or cut off. Be sure to use the redheads on the BX.