appliances not working, breaker fine

Old 05-06-13, 07:41 AM
appliances not working, breaker fine

Hi all. I have a weird problem in my home. I have a 20 amp circuit that has a very small freezer, my dishwasher, and a ceiling fan on it. Last Friday, everything on the circuit quit working. I have replaced the breaker (tried two new breakers) and that was not the problem.
Has anyone had this problem? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 07:45 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Are those three devices the only things on that circuit ?

You will have to go to each location and check for power. I would start with the location that is the closest to the panel.

Old 05-06-13, 07:46 AM
Group Moderator
First I would look for a GFCI outlet somewhere and see if it is tripped. If that is not it I would remove the face plates on the dead outlets and check for power entering one of them. Then see if there is power on the wire going out. They are usually wired in series so if something happened to an outlet (bad outlet, loose wire) early in the string everything downstream from it would be dead.

Old 05-06-13, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Note though do not check for power with a non contact tester. They can give false and misleading positives. Use a test light, multimeter, or solenoid tester. A $8-$15 analog multimeter is a good choice.

Old 05-06-13, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the quick replies! This is a complete beginner question but would this be a solid voltage checker that would last me for a while?
Greenlee TK-30 Basic Electrical Kit - Amazon.com

or is this a piece of junk? is it too much? to little?
Thanks again!!

Old 05-06-13, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
The kit contains things you don't need like the non contact voltage detedtor and things you do need like a multimeter but a cheap digital multimeter can mislead you with phantom voltage reading. Better and cheaper is just an analog multimeter.

Examples: Pocket-size analog multimeter, YG188: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Sears.com Multimeter

GE Analog Multimeter-50952 at The Home Depot