attaching fixture to a switch loop????

Old 02-09-01, 12:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need instructions on wiring a bathroom light fixture to a wall switch were the fixture gets power before the switch.Thank you in advance for any advice.Ive checked many different sites on electric codes, home wiring, electric repair.I asw an article on wiring a fixture to a single pole light switch loop,I saw this before i realized thats what i wanted now I cannot find it.Any help is greatly appreciated!I have 2 white and 2 black wires coming from the light fixture.There are 3 white and three black at the wall.I know 1 black is power and i got the switch wires marked.1white,1 black

Old 02-09-01, 12:45 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
I am curious, why do you have two whites and two blacks coming from your light fixture if power is in you switch?

Do you have more than one light fixture being controlled by that switch?

Wg

Old 02-09-01, 01:40 PM
Visiting Guest
1/2&1/2

one white and black wire to the left and one white and black to the other side of the fixture.I do not have power at the switch its at the fixture first.There is only one fixture operated by the switch.It worked before,I didn`t see how it came apart though.

[Edited by teddster on 02-09-01 at 03:48]

Old 02-09-01, 04:16 PM
Wgoodrich
Visiting Guest
In the light fixture connect the black of the power to the white of the switch and reidentify that white with black tape as a hot conductor. The at the switch connect the black to the switch and again reidentify the white wire coming from that light fixuture with a black tape and connect that reidentified white wire to the other screw on the switch. Then go back to the light fixture and connect the black wire coming from the switch to the black wire coming from the fixture itself. Last connect the white wire coming from power to the white wire coming from the light fixture.

Let us know if you got it working

Wg

Old 02-09-01, 05:48 PM
Visiting Guest
reidentifying all

Did not work.Im going to reidentify and make sure everything is where it is suppose to be.Keep the ideas coming PLEASE

Old 02-09-01, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
?explanation?

I retested every thing and it seems OK,let me try to explain i have 1white and 1black wire coming from switch,routed inside the wallthese two wires go to a box on the other side of the room they come out of the box withthree white wires and three blackwires ,1white for switch and 1black,another black for power that leaves two white and a black to deal with and they all are needed to complete a circuit.....I NDUNNO

Old 02-09-01, 09:05 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
teddster,

You're starting to get really confusing here. In your original questions, you had a bathroom light fixture where the power came first and then went on to the switch. In your latest post, there is no mention of the light fixture and you've introduced this strange "box on the other side of the room" and it seems like the power comes here first. Are we still in the bathroom?

Did we take a left turn somewhere?

Old 02-10-01, 07:15 AM
Visiting Guest
still in bathroom

Yes Im still in bathroom the box is where the fixture was attached to begin with and worked fine t.Then it was taken down and Im trying to put it back up.Sorry for getting confusing.The best I get so far when I attach the fixture is the light on all the time.With the power wire being hot all time its always on I cannot figure the switch into the circuit.I want it in series in between the fixture and the power?

Old 02-10-01, 10:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Okay, the picture is becoming clear now.

At the switch, life is easy -- two wires, two screws. You can't mess this up.

At the "box" where the light will go, you have three black wires and three white wires. Let's label these for reference.

Sb = black wire from switch
Sw = white wire from switch
Xb and Yb = the other black wires
Xw and Yw = the other white wires
Lb = black wire to the light
Lw = white wire to the light

I'm assuming you can figure out with absolute certainty which black is Sb and which white is Sw. This is important. Post back if you have trouble with this.

Now it's all very simple you need:
(1) Xb to Yb to Sw
(2) Xw to Yw to Lw
(3) Sb to Lb

I guarantee it. Please report back.

Old 02-10-01, 12:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up THANK YOU

thanks john it works and works right,see there I learn somtin erery day!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: