Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Code compliant method of repairing broken insulation inside a J/outlet box

Old 05-06-13, 08:37 PM

Hi all,

Unfortunately, drama with my contractor continues... While I was inspecting his work, I found--quite horrifyingly--that in some outlet/switch boxes, the insulation of the hot/neutral wires is sliced/broken. When he was cutting the romex, he must have used a utility knife, did a sloppy job, and cut right into the inner wires.

In some places, only the outermost (transparent) sleeve is cut/compromised. In other places, however, the whole insulation is sliced such that bare copper is showing (on a hot wire at that!).

Putting aside my anger/disbelief/frustration for the moment... is there a code compliant way to fix this without rewiring the entire segment? I'm seriously contemplating firing my contractor finishing the work myself.

I read on some other forum that electrical tape is allowable, provided that the voltage/temperature rating is appropriate. But is it? I searched through the entire 2008 NEC and the word "tape" only showed up 64 times; and none refer to this situation. If you have any suggestion on which section to look, that would be greatly appreciated too.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-13, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Heat shrink tubing if you can't get him to do it the right way on his dime by replacing the damaged wire.

Old 05-06-13, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
It takes a little care when stripping NM cable. I've used a knife forever and have only nicked a few wires.

You can use heat shrink tubing to repair the insulation.

Ray.....you're getting pretty quick for an old guy

Old 05-06-13, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. You guys are the best =)

Old 05-07-13, 03:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Heat shrink is preferable over tape. However, I would push strongly for new cables. There are strippers made to do this task that do not damage the conductors. They are also faster than the knife method.