Weird GFCI problem

Old 05-08-13, 12:51 AM
Weird GFCI problem

I am running some underground conduit from a subpanel to my kitchen. The conduit goes through a French drain and to spare myself digging through two feet of stones, I buried the conduit at 12" (NEC 300.5 Column 4) and put GFCIs at the home run end of the circuit.

Here's the part I don't understand. The wire in the kitchen is hot. A multitest on the ground and the hot wires shows the same voltage as hot and neutral. (So it's grounded.)

Polarity is not reversed. But when I plug a radio into the kitchen receptacle, the GFCI trips and will not reset. I have swapped out the GFCI with a different one and it still trips.

???

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am stumped. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-13, 01:17 AM
Group Moderator
What about a lamp? Maybe it's the radio.

Old 05-08-13, 10:08 AM
Thanks Ray. As ever, a giant DUH. Before the inspector dinged me for having an "external conduit" that was "architecturally unacceptable" I had a straight shot of four pairs from the subpanel to the kitchen. Which neutral I used didn't matter. All ran back to the subpanel.

Now that I have interposed a bank of GFCIs,the specific neutral leaving a specific GFCI device very much does matter.I had a neutral running back to a different GFCI. So I did get current, it was indeed grounded, but when I introduced a load (e.g., a turned-off light) into the receptacle it tripped. The neutral was going back to a different GFCI.

Duh.

Before you say "hire an electrician" I d i d hire an electrician. He's the one who put the conduit outside the house. Ahem.

I am lazy because accessing the jbox to the kitchen requires going through a nasty crawlspace. Just took six hours out of my life. that's all.

A mind f**t.

THanks for your help, nonetheless.

Old 05-08-13, 04:51 PM
Before the inspector dinged me for having an "external conduit" that was "architecturally unacceptable"
That is obviously a local code, the NEC has no "architechurally unacceptable" clauses.

Old 05-08-13, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I hope you did not run loose conductors without a conduit. There is little chance to confuse cables neutrals and hots between cables.

Old 05-08-13, 07:24 PM
It's run in conduit .