Wiring 240V receptacle for welder

Old 05-08-13, 03:01 PM
Wiring 240V receptacle for welder

I need to wire a receptacle for a welder in my detached garage. The garage has a subpanel with 3 120v breakers for lights and such. It has room for more breakers. I purchased a 60 amp two pole breaker, the outlet I needed, and some #6 Romex. What has me confused is the neutral and ground wire. The Romex has red(hot) black(hot) white(neutral) and uninsulated(ground). This is the Romex the salesman at Lowes insisted I needed. He said I hook the neutral and ground up to the bus bar. and then hook neutral and ground up to the ground in the outlet I bought. The outlets wiring diagram shows it needs two hots and a ground. I feel like the neutral shouldn't be connected directly to the ground wire or to the same ground or am I wrong?
Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-13, 03:06 PM
Group Moderator
The Romex has red(hot) black(hot) white(neutral) and uninsulated(ground). This is the Romex the salesman at Lowes insisted I needed.
And he is very uninformed. You needed 6-2 not 6-3. Take the wire back to lowes. If they refuse a refund because it is cut wire inform them it is their fault not your. Insist they replace it and give you a refund for the price difference.

Old 05-08-13, 03:16 PM
They may not take the cable back but they should refund you the difference in cost between the 6-3/g and 6-2/g. Connect the white to the NEUTRAL bus in the sub-panel, the bare equipment ground to the GROUND bus in the sub-panel and the two hots to the circuit breaker. At the receptacle connect the two hots to the X and Y terminals (color not important) and the bare equipment ground to the G terminal. The white should not be stripped but have a large wire nut screwed on the end.

That's a pretty big welder for a home shop that would require number six conductors. The NEC usually allows quite a reduction in conductor size for welders because of their limited duty cycle.

Old 05-08-13, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator

Old 05-08-13, 04:09 PM
Ok that makes more sense. I will stop by after work to see if they will exchange it. Would you reccomend a smaller breaker? I might eventually be buying a large bandsaw that I'll use out there that also requires 240 so I thought I'd go with 60 amp. Does a 30 amp offer better protection for my welder or the wires overheating?

Old 05-08-13, 04:12 PM
Without knowing the input specifications of your welder it is impossible to state what you need. A band saw would probably have different requirements from the welder and would require a different branch circuit.

Old 05-08-13, 06:20 PM
I might eventually be buying a large bandsaw that I'll use out there that also requires 240 so I thought I'd go with 60 amp.
Maybe what you should do, considering you may purchase a 240 volt band saw too, is install a small subpanel and take advantage of the 6-3 NM B cable to feed the subpanel with a full 60 amps at 120/240 volts. By doing this, you could take a smaller circuit, such as a 20 amp circuit, from the subpanel for the bandsaw and a 60amp circuit from the subpanel for the welder. A small subpanel can be purchased for under $30 and would give you greater versatility than just one 60 amp circuit. For what it's worth, I just purchased an 8-16 circuit panel with ground bar for my niece's garage for $29 and some change, tax included.

This is the Romex the salesman at Lowes insisted I needed.
Sadly, some of the less knowledgeable clerks at the big box stores give bad advice. This gives all big box stores a black eye.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 05-08-13 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-08-13, 08:00 PM
He already has a sub-panel. First two sentences in the original post.

Old 05-08-13, 10:04 PM
I went to lowes and told them my electrician friend told me I was sold the wrong wire and they exchanged it no problem I wired it up with a 60 amp two pole breaker to the dryer receptacle. Other than the romex being more difficult to work with than my ex-wife it was pretty easy. I still have enough in the subpanel for one more 240 so I can expand if needed but this should be perfect for now! Thanks for the advice ya'll!

Old 05-08-13, 10:28 PM
Group Moderator
I wired it up with a 60 amp two pole breaker to the dryer receptacle.
A dryer receptacle is only rated for 30 amps and is the wrong type of receptacle for this. You need a NEMA 6-50R.

If that was to match a 6-30 plug on the welder cord I suspect you have way over amped this. A 6-30P would use 10-2 on a 30 amp breaker. Even in that case a dryer receptacle, 10-30R, would be wrong because it is for 120/240 not 240 and has no ground.

Old 05-09-13, 12:34 AM
Sorry it is a nema 6-50R. It says rated for 50 amps, is that what I want?

Old 05-09-13, 07:04 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, 6-50R is correct. You confused me with the ""dryer receptacle" comment. Dryer receptacle" isn't what you have. What you have is correct for the breaker and use.