New to the forum >Spray Booth Exhaust Fan Wiring<

Old 05-09-13, 06:47 AM
Question New to the forum >Spray Booth Exhaust Fan Wiring<

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and hope I can get an answer for my latest project.....

Im building a spray booth for models and other small items. I have a home made booth that measures 36" x 24". I bought a squirrel cage blower and fan to suck out all offending fumes. I will be putting a furnace filter between the fan unit and spray area so Im just basically catching particulates in the filter and sucking the fumes out.

anyway...here is what I need help with. the wiring!....

I have learned quite a bit the last couple of days with regard to what I need to make this happen, but need help finishing up the last details....

The motor is an A.O. Smith 115v 60hz 1.2a thermally protected universal electric motor.

Name:  motor specs.jpg
Views: 3369
Size:  35.0 KB
It says to use a 5mfd 370vac capacitor, which I can find easily enough.

It has ONE of each white, red, black, brown and blue wires coming from it.

I would like to hook up a 3 speed switch to give myself options while spraying different types of parts.

Name:  switch.jpg
Views: 2491
Size:  23.8 KB

Name:  switch back.jpg
Views: 3263
Size:  25.8 KB

Rather than tell you what I THINK I know....can you guys tell me how to wire this thing?

Also, is thermally protected brushless?....Im worried about volatile paint fumes running past the motor windings (brushes?)

thanks in advance for any help you can provide

JP

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-13, 07:17 AM
Group Moderator
Your picture does not show the blower but the motor looks like it mounts in the center of the squirrel cage in the stream of incoming air like used in home HVAC systems. Even brushless my first concern is the open design of the non explosion proof motor. It will be in the volatile fumes and sucking in that air for cooling. Worst case it may cause a fire or go "boom" but more likely is the motor eventually gunks up with fine paint mist that makes it past your furnace filter.

Old 05-09-13, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing that's a blower motor from a duct hood that would be found over a stove. It looks to be a little small for your application. Actually now that I'm thinking about it.... by the low current draw it would appear to be a ceiling fan blower. Definitely not going to cut it.

Dane is correct about the type of motor. You should be using a sealed motor.

If you have you have your heart set on using that motor.... I'm not sure if it's multispeed. Can you post the model number or turn the motor and shoot another pic.

Old 05-09-13, 11:22 AM
thanks for the comments guys!...

here are a couple of better pics:

Name:  motor size.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  29.9 KB

Name:  better pic.jpg
Views: 4540
Size:  36.6 KB

Model number is CE3G015N
(not sure if the 0 is a zero or an O....)

yes, the motor is housed inside the squirrel cage....and as I had feared, this motor is not compatible for what I want to do with it?.....

can you guys confirm this....if so, I spent too much money for it....and will have to see if I can resell it and find the right unit!

rats!

does this motor need to be inside the squirrel cage to cool?...can I get a longer drive shaft and place the motor outside the unit?

does this motor have brushes...I cannot see any...what does thermally protected mean?...

sorry for all the questions!

Now, I was thinking that the cfm of the squirrel cage would have been plenty to do what I needed...Im building a small enclosure with filters to let air in....the only way for air to get out is through the piping and vent behind the blower. so the "room" I am in is only about 5 feet square by 8 feet high.

I have a little 375cfm fan right now, and it just does not cut it...but, my booth is open to a large room in the basement....

In my research I found that the wiring similar to what I have translates roughly like this:

white: neutral
black: high speed
blue: medium speed
red: low speed
Brown: capacitor

(I may have the red and blue backwards)

thanks again for your help.....

JP

Old 05-09-13, 12:16 PM
Group Moderator
You either need an explosion proof motor or the motor should be outside the squirrel cage so it's not breathing the air that you're moving. Something like this which has the motor outside the blower housing and the air inlet is on the opposite side.

Squirrel cages are best described as blowers. They can push (blow) air quite well and can generate reasonable power to force the air through filters and can tolerate long duct runs on the outlet side. They are poor suckers so try to minimize the flow restrictions on the inlet side. Certainly you want to filter the air as much as possible before reaching the fan so a large filter area and inlet duct or plenum would be a good idea.

Old 05-09-13, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by PJmax
I'm guessing that's a blower motor from a duct hood that would be found over a stove. It looks to be a little small for your application. Actually now that I'm thinking about it.... by the low current draw it would appear to be a ceiling fan blower. Definitely not going to cut it.
It is a PSC motor... on the contrary, it has quite a bit of power. I didn't get a result for the model number, but a 5MFD cap says that motor can push a few thousand CFM.

Thermally protected has nothing to do with whether or not the motor is brushed - they are completely independent attributes. Thermally protected means that it will stop running once it and/or the ambient temperature is too hot for safe operation.

Old 05-09-13, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, Nick......it was advertised to push in the vicinity of 2500 cfms....the cage blower is fairly big...bigger than any average stove top vent....more in line with what Im assuming are HVAC applications.

it was also advertised to have I think 3 speed capabilities....it came with the switch in the picture....but I have seen nicer switches that are sealed, ect....

Pilotdane...yeah, I should have gotten one with the motor outside the blower....
and thanks for the clarification on just how these things work...pushing is their strength....not pulling....good to know!

I guess my question is this:

Can I rig up the ductwork to actually PUSH the air up the duct, creating a suction in the booth...(my friend at the body shop told me some large scale booths actually work this way....) so the fan is never in the stream of air after the fumes...only before it....I guess you can form a kind of venturi.....then I can use the set-up I have.....I just have to figure out how to hook it up electronically!

any thoughts there?....

thanks!

JP

Old 05-10-13, 04:58 AM
Group Moderator
About the only way to push the exhaust without putting the motor in the fumes is with a booth where you use the blower to pressurize the room. A bit much for painting models unless you want to do something similar to a bead blast chamber. It's a box with a light on top to illuminate the interior. A window so you can see inside and a couple rubber gloves attached to the side of the box. You open the box and put your pieces in there. Close the box and turn on your blower and stick your hands into the rubber gloves. All the painting and fumes would be contained within the box.

Old 05-10-13, 07:09 AM
About the only way to push the exhaust without putting the motor in the fumes is with a booth where you use the blower to pressurize the room. A bit much for painting models unless you want to do something similar to a bead blast chamber. It's a box with a light on top to illuminate the interior. A window so you can see inside and a couple rubber gloves attached to the side of the box. You open the box and put your pieces in there. Close the box and turn on your blower and stick your hands into the rubber gloves. All the painting and fumes would be contained within the box.

I have seen them, Dane....yes...

Ill run my ideas by my buddy at the body shop and ask him to review this thing with me...it was a while ago that we talked about it....

any ideas on the wiring, guys?

thanks!

JP

Old 05-10-13, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
I don't know if this applies at all to your motor but here is another thread where someone was wrestling with a similar problem. There are some diagrams that might give you a clue.

Old 05-11-13, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Dane. this gives me some more clues.....!

JP