conductor size for panel


Old 05-10-13, 12:15 PM
Bernard_01's Avatar
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 245
conductor size for panel

Greetings from NH,

A mobile home is wired with NM cables. The inside older fuse box (screw type) has a main breaker(outside) of 50A . The conductors coming to the fuse box from outside are #6. Can I use this gauge conductor to upgrade to a new breaker panel and a new outside main breaker rated at 100A ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-13, 12:23 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 14,594
No, the conductors are too small for 100 amps.

Does the park have the ability to let you upgrade to 100 amps? Why do you think you need 100 amps?
Old 05-10-13, 12:49 PM
ray2047's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 33,058
If you are upgrading simply to do away with a fuse box and to go to a breaker box and/or are installing the 100 amp breaker box for more spaces but not a significant increase in amps you can connect #6 to it so long as the #6 is fused for 60 amps or less. If the new subpanel is a main breaker panel you do not need to change out the main breaker in the sub for 60 amps since it only serves as a disconnect.

However many older MHs have the fuse box in a closet or kitchen cabinet. If that is the case it will need to be moved.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes