Can I convert a battery winch to plug-in winch?

Old 05-11-13, 05:46 AM
Can I convert a battery winch to plug-in winch?

Hello, I have a Champion C30145 winch that's designed to be mounted on a vehicle and powered by its engine battery. To connect it, you simply connect battery leads from the winch to the vehicle's battery, and you leave the vehicle's engine running while you use the winch so that the battery's recharging.

I'd like to convert the winch's power source so that instead of running off a battery it will be plugged into 120V outlet in my outbuilding. This building has a strong overhead beam and I'd like to attach the winch overhead and use it to raise the front of our riding mower up with it, so that we can get at the blades and belt area underneath the mower.

I called the company tech support but they had no specific advice for how to do this; only said 'consult with an electrician' and that I'd have to get an aftermarket kit.

The specs are --
1.34 hp motor (DC 12V)
intermittent duty cycle
MPM 1.2
Max Current 150 amps

I'd really appreciate some suggestions for this.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-13, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
The most direct way you would need a 12 volt DC power supply with a 150 amp output. Assuming you can even find one I suspect you could buy several 120 volt AC winches or chain hoists for the cost. You could use a set up with a deep discharge battery and charger but complicated, expensive and there are simpler cheaper ways to accomplish what you want to accomplish such as a chain hoist or 120 volt winch.

Old 05-11-13, 07:32 AM
Group Moderator
Or you could just spend about $120 on a mower lift. MaxWorks Hydraulic Lawn Mower Lift 400-Lb. Capacity, Model# HML-40 | Lawn Mower Lifts| Northern Tool + Equipment Would likely be safer then working under a mower suspended by the winch.

Old 05-11-13, 11:45 AM
Best (cheapest) way to use that winch as described would be to hook it up to a battery and use a charger to keep the battery charged. It is cheaper still if you already have those things in your shop.

With that being said there might be a cheaper way to do what you want to do without using the winch.

Old 05-12-13, 05:23 AM
Thanks!

Thanks to all of you for these comments and suggestions. You are the voices of reason and good sense.

I really appreciate your help!

Old 05-12-13, 09:44 AM
Group Moderator
And we appreciate the thanks.