Converting 12dc or 24vdc to 18vac? For ptz camera on boat

Old 05-13-13, 08:10 PM
Question Converting 12dc or 24vdc to 18vac? For ptz camera on boat

What solutions other than a big 12vdc inverter to ac transformer is there? I may get a high dollar ptz camera for a fair price but its 18vAC and i do not have nor want to purchuse the expensive power supply. $800 heh. Id rather build one or fidn a cheaper solution. We have 3 large marine batteries on board, but not sure how to convert to 18vac.. thsi si the camera user guide, it is the Bosch MIC400 http://stna.resource.bosch.com/docum...2303476491.pdf

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-13, 10:13 PM
The OP is asking to convert DC to AC.

I'll be blunt, there is NO cheap way to make AC that is satisfactory for electronics. You can get a cheap inverter, but they will output a square or modified sine wave, neither of which are desirable substitutes for "AC".

A good inverter that produces a satisfactory or "close enough" sine will cost a couple hundred dollars.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-13-13 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Remove quote from deleted post.
Old 05-13-13, 10:28 PM
how about converting the electronics to accept dc?

what if I modified the pcb to accept dc somehow? i don't know what actually uses the ac other than maybe a heater? what to do what to do, i may end up getting the camera for around #200 so its a hard deal not to take.. they do make 12vdc models, im just unsure of what the difference is. guess ill post back if i get my hands on it and maybe someone can help.

Old 05-13-13, 10:47 PM
Group Moderator
I work with Bosch cameras but not that one. The camera has the ability to work with a 12VDC supply. I see they make a custom power supply to work with the camera. Since the price of that supply is over 300.00 I have to assume that it's more than just a simple power supply.

I am concerned though......when I was reading the specs I see bi-phase mentioned. That's the protocol Bosch uses to control the PTZ functions of the camera. You may need a bi-phase controller to move the camera.

Knowing Bosch......this may become an expensive camera setup.

Old 05-13-13, 10:54 PM
Thanks for that info, very helpful. I would be using it as the mast camera ill have to look into the bi-phase controller. but a $5000+ camera for $200.. i just cant say no as its hard to find a decent camera that will hopefully last up there and have all the options and i hate to order from overseas so its very tempting for the price of it as for now. I do appreciate all the feedback! Thanks!

Old 05-13-13, 11:08 PM
Group Moderator
Keep in touch.....I'll work with you.