Ceiling Fan combo switch problem

Old 05-13-13, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan combo switch problem

i am remodeling a room and i have added a ceiling fan and i bought a Lutron fan combo switch. i also have a 3 way switch i want to operate just the light. i have read and tried all kinds of combinations using 14/3 and 14/2 wire and i can get the combo switch to work alone but can not get them to work together. please help

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-13, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you at least have a three wire cable between your ceiling fan and the junction box where the Lutron switch will go ?

You will have a three way switch for light at one location and at the second location you will another three way switch and the Lutron fan control. Is that correct ?

Old 05-13-13, 09:13 PM
Everything is new and only about 8 to 10 feet if you can tell me how to wire it from the start that would be good. Its just 2 switches the combo and the 3 way....thanks

Old 05-13-13, 09:25 PM
Group Moderator
Let me try again.... you will have a three way switch at one location and a combination single pole/3 way switch at the other end.

Will you be bringing the power and the three wires cable from the fan/light into the box where the fan switch will be ?

Old 05-13-13, 10:10 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i have added a ceiling fan and i bought a Lutron fan combo switch. i also have a 3 way switch i want to operate just the light. i have read and tried all kinds of combinations using 14/3 and 14/2 wire and i can get the combo switch to work alone but can not get them to work together.
What is the model number of the Lutron combined fan/light switch you bought? Unless the part of that switch that controls the light is a 3-way switch it will not work with a second 3-way switch.

You can mount two separate controls - one single-location fan motor controller and one 3-way switch - in a 2-gang box where the 3-conductor cable going to the ceiling are, or you can use a remote controller to accomplish what you're trying to do.

Originally Posted by PJmax
Do you at least have a three wire cable between your ceiling fan and the junction box where the Lutron switch will go?

Old 05-14-13, 06:04 AM
I can run whatever is easier I pretty much took out all the wires starting from fresh. I'm at work now so I don't have the model number but yes its a 3 way It has 4 wires comming out of it ground black white red and red/white.I can run the power to where evere it needs to go. A diagram would help me

Old 05-14-13, 10:29 AM
Group Moderator
Diagrams are a big help and I like to draw them however I need to know exactly everything that needs to be put in the diagram.

I can fill in the switch wiring when you let us know what it is. Right now...based on the colors that you gave us....you do not have a 3 way switch/fan control combo switch there.
The switch that you require would need to have 4 wires plus a ground. Power in, two wires for the travelers and one to the fan.

Name:  FAN WIRING.jpg
Views: 44743
Size:  26.1 KB
At this point you know you need a three wire cable between switches, a three wire cable from the fan/switch control to the fan/light and a two wire feed in the same box as the fan/light control.

Old 05-14-13, 02:31 PM
the model number for the switch is Lutron LGFSQ-FName:  20130514_162131[1].jpg
Views: 2831
Size:  26.2 KB

Attached Images  
Old 05-14-13, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Compatible with incandescent and halogen bulb types. For single-pole applications where fans are controlled from 1 location. Slide up to on brighten; slide down to off dim.
That's from Lutron. Therefore it's not a 3 way switch.

The wiring is probably: black is power in, red is fan and red/white is light.

Old 05-14-13, 06:38 PM
Name:  20130514_203226[1].jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  23.8 KB
i think you guys are right tho i need a new switch that has a wire for the fan and a wire for the light i have another combo switch in my bedroom like that but it didnt have a 3 way function

Old 05-14-13, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
the model number for the switch is Lutron LGFSQ-F
I couldn't find that so I went with the Lutron TGFSQ-F instead.

Therefore it's not a 3 way switch.
The one I found can be used for either. See Lutron Technical Document Library.

i think you guys are right tho i need a new switch that has a wire for the fan and a wire for the light i have another combo switch in my bedroom like that but it didnt have a 3 way function
See Lutron MaestroŽ fan control.