well pump

Old 05-15-13, 07:28 AM
well pump

I am totaly lame with electricity. I am getting no water this am. i am bypassing a box that was basically a timer for the well to see if the timer box may be the problem before pulling out the pump.

2 questions got 2 wires and ground wire black and white from electric panel pump has 3 wires yellow, black and red. how do i hook this up.

Second question, At the well, if i put sensor to ground and other one to wire going to pump I should get voltage reading correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-13, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Is the pump 120 volts or 240 volts?

Old 05-15-13, 07:55 AM
the franklin pump is 240 volts.

Old 05-15-13, 09:02 AM
Group Moderator
At the well, if i put sensor to ground and other one to wire going to pump I should get voltage reading correct?
Yes, but since it is a 240v pump the critical reading is between the two hots coming in. The white is one of your hots (ungrounded conductor) and should have been remarked on both ends red or black (or any color but gray or green).

Above assumes you are using a multimeter and meant probe not sensor.

Old 05-15-13, 11:27 PM
Group Moderator
Do you have a Franklin well pump ? If you do that box you are describing is not a timer box but a motor start control for the pump. It requires its own troubleshooting steps.

Franklin pump control box
Inside there should be a single or dual capacitor. There should also be a relay and an overload protector in there with a pushbutton that sticks thru the cover. The button would be pressed in to reset from an overload.

L1 and L2 are incoming 240 volts.
Y=yellow= motor common
B=black= motor run winding
R=red=motor start winding.

Old 05-16-13, 07:27 AM
Somebody "totally lame with electricity" really shouldn't be messing around with 240V. That aside, is yours a deep-well pump? I've only ever pulled one of those, which was only about 100 feet down. Never again!