Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Burried outdoor electrical power for water feature - Ducks in a row?

Old 05-16-13, 09:40 AM

So... I put in a nice waterfall feature in my back yard last summer and am planning to run underground power to it this weekend. Little rundown of my plan and question(s).

Trench line from attached garage to water feature (approx 90 ft.)

1. Property has been marked by state (MN).
2. Trench 18" deep x 4" wide x 90' long.
3. Run 100'+ of 12-2 underground cable thru grey 40 pvc conduit. Piece pvc together.
4. Construct a post for the new outlet using proper GFCI outlet, outdoor cover, housing, etc. Outlet reset 5' from waters edge.

5. Connection to garage. This is my question. Running this to it's own circuit on the main board would probably be preferred, however I'm wondering If I can just piggy tail it off a existing outlet inside the garage (which is closer)? I really only running this outlet specific for the water feature. A 700 GPH pump which I don't think draws a lot.

6. Once power is confirmed working, bury conduit half way, drop caution tape in trench, fill rest of trench.

Any suggestions/advise would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-13, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
3. Run 100'+ of 12-2 underground cable thru grey 40 pvc conduit.
Best practice is to not run cable in conduit. Individual conductors such as THWN will be a lot easier to pull. If you want to use cable skip the conduit and bury it at 24" or use GFCI protection at the feed and bury 12".

Piece pvc together.
The PVC, if you stil use it, must be glued up before before you pull cable or wire. Insert mason's twine as you piece it together then use the twine to pull cable or wire.

I'm wondering If I can just piggy tail it off a existing outlet inside the garage (which is closer)?
Yes and since receptacle should be already GFCI protected you will only need a burial depth of 12".

Old 05-16-13, 12:45 PM
Much thanks Ray

Thanks Ray.

I found a guy who is going to come over with a trenching machine and he basically said the same thing. I can just use 12-2 burial cable instead of running wire thru conduit. Then we can just hook the cable up to the trencher and it'll feed an bury making the process quicker.

Old 05-16-13, 04:32 PM
Great. Don't forget the warning tape.