Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Motor goes up, but hums when switch to go down. Works when I manually spin it

Motor goes up, but hums when switch to go down. Works when I manually spin it

Old 05-16-13, 01:24 PM
Exclamation Motor goes up, but hums when switch to go down. Works when I manually spin it

The otor goes up, but hums when switch to go down. It works when I manually spin the belt for a second.

Pictures

So I have a jet ski lift motor that's .5 HP and the motor raises the jet ski fine, but when I turn the switch to go down, it makes a loud hum noise. If I turn the belt with my hand, it starts to go down fine.

I took apart the motor as much as i could (in pictures), and I looked up tried to research on the internet what part I might need to clean or buy, but I don't know many of the terms that I read. There were a lot of dirt dauber nests in there that I cleaned out.

I read here and here that it could be the capacitator, centrifugal switch, armature, or dry ball bearings. The centrifugal switch in the motor looks like the one here, except with some plastic on there instead of all metal.

If anyone could help me pin-point the most probable solution using the pictures I provided, that'd be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-13, 05:32 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't know that you'll ever be able to pinpoint the exact problem in the motor. The bearings & armature work, in both directions. So, that leaves only parts that work in the down direction. You'll have to determine what they are. How much is a replacement motor?

Old 05-16-13, 06:08 PM
Are the connections at the control switch and motor terminal board tight and clean? A poor connection at either place could cause this problem, as could a sticking centrifugal switch.

Old 05-16-13, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
What does the lift use as a reversing switch ? Is it like one push button for up and one for down ?

The starting cap and the centrifugal switch is used in both directions..... which leads me to believe they aren't the problem.

Old 05-17-13, 08:33 AM
The lift uses a switch where you push a piece one way to go up and another way to go down. And the connections are pretty clean...the wires were sort of black from when it flooded some. I replaced one set of wires but not the set that leads to the motor.

Old 05-17-13, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
the wires were sort of black from when it flooded some
So the lift controll has been under water?

Old 05-17-13, 10:08 AM
Well the wires to the lift switch were wired together under the dock and wrapped in a lot of electrical tape but still got wet, and after pulling off all that tape, the wires were black all the way to the lift switch. I haven't replaced those, but did cut off the ends and rewire using the new cleaner end pieces, but still black.

Is it possible that it could be the wiring even though it goes up fine?

Old 05-17-13, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Different wires for down if this is is the wire between the controller and the motor.

the wires to the lift switch were wired together under the dock and wrapped in a lot of electrical tape
Not the best way to make a waterproof connection.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-17-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-17-13, 10:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If this was a dryer I would say the start windings in motor are bad, not sure if there are 2 set of start winding in tour motor.

Old 05-17-13, 01:32 PM
You may have partially-shorted windings in your motor. Measuring the amp draw and comparing it to running the opposite direction, and to the nameplate rating, would confirm this.
Partially-shorted windings reduce field strength and draw more current.

From your description, it appears that you did not test the motor unloaded... you should do this also.

Old 05-17-13, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
There are only two windings in his motor. That would make the motor most likely ok. The main winding is energized the same in both forward and reverse.

In reverse..... the start winding is connected in reverse. In the OP's case it sounds like when he tries to reverse the motor that the start winding is not being energized at all. That would point to control issue.