Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Best way to run 2" conduit from meter to new exterior panel?

Old 05-16-13, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to add an exterior main breaker panel beside my meter to serve as a 200Amp disconnect with 6 double pole throws (100A breaker for interior panel plus 1-5 more 240v throws). I have installed my own panels before on other houses but I have not dealt with the following issue before. Before I get into the problem below, let me preface it by saying that I do not want to move or replace the meter box if possible.

My existing meter has the input feeder conduit from underground service coming up into the bottom of the box on the right side. The 200A aluminum feeder cable exits the meter box on the left side of the bottom and goes into the house to interior 200A panel. Due to a window 16" to the left of the meter box I don't think I can install the new 200A disconnect panel there, or underneath the meter box, since it is 54" off the ground. The ideal place to mount the new 200A box is on the right side of the meter box but how do I run the 2" PVC conduit to the right with the service feed 2" coming up in the way? Am I allowed to off-set over the top of the vertical 2" conduit to run the other 2" conduit to the right side? I don't think routing the conduit up and over the meter box to the right is the correct thing to do. I like a neat setup and crossing conduits just seems odd but i will do it if it is acceptable and common practice.

Any advice is welcome - please see photo.Name:  new panel location.jpg
Views: 17570
Size:  41.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-13, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

First off, if you are installing a main breaker panel you do not need to follow the 6 throws rule as you will have a main disconnect, the main breaker. You can install a 42 circuit outdoor panel if you wish.

Second, if you have vinyl siding (I can't tell for sure), you do not want to mount the new panel directly on top of the vinyl.

To connect the new panel to the meter, all you need to do is (carefully!) cut a hole (If no KO is available) in the side of the meter (right side) and panel (Left side) and install a short nipple between the two. If you do use a pre-punched KO you will be required to use grounding bushings and bond around them if there are KOs still left. You will not be required to do this if you use a PVC nipple.

Your 100 amp feed will go to the new panel, as you mentioned. Just plug the old hole with a KO seal.

You may be required to run a new 4 wire feed to the 100 amp panel and separate the ground and neutral wires. This will depend on your inspector.

Old 05-16-13, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 447 Posts
Unfortunately as the meter pan is sealed you can't get a real feel for what you need to do. Exiting the right side of the meter pan, like Tolyn mentioned, is the ideal method but you may be blocked by the underground service feeder cables.

Old 05-16-13, 08:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
Another option: You could also change out the meter socket (about $100) and install the underground pipe on the left side of the new meter. You will have some more siding repair, but it looks like you will have some anyway.