Confused circuit

Old 05-17-13, 06:17 AM
Confused circuit

Ok I have a circuit with a hall light controlled by two switches and two bathrooms on it. The hall and the first bathroom work fine but the second bathroom suddenly stopped working, I checked the gfi it seems ok I broke everything down and found the power coming in is giving me readings that don't make sense hot to neutral 87 volt hot to ground 121 volts neutral to ground 0 volts I went back to the other bathroom and found that I have continuity between hot and neutral on one wire? Everything works fine in that room thank you for anything to help make sense of this

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-13, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
Are these lights only or are there receptacles also? By current code hall lights should not be on the same circuit as bathroom receptacles. If only lights then it's okay to share with the hall lights. You mention GFCI but if lights best practice baring specific exceptions the lights should not be on a GFCI. If a receptacle circuit to two bathrooms there can be no lights on it, even bathroom lights.

Basicly it sound like a loose neutral but your I'm not sure of you exact problem.

Old 05-17-13, 06:32 AM
One gfci receptacle in each bathroom

Old 05-17-13, 06:39 AM
Group Moderator
Then there should be no lights on the circuit. As I said you need to check all neutral connections. That includes removing all wire nuts including the ones at switches and lights and remaking the connections with new wire nuts or at least inspecting the insides of existing wire nuts for corrosion and broken or missing wire springs.

Old 05-17-13, 06:43 AM
Thank you I will go back and check everything now

Old 05-17-13, 08:26 AM
Not sure that it matters, but do you know if everything is [daisy chained] (hall to BR1 to BR2) or parallel (hall to BR1, hall also to BR2)? That might at least help track down where the problem cannot be.

Last edited by ray2047; 05-17-13 at 06:59 PM. Reason: change"series" to daisy chained to avoid confusion.
Old 05-17-13, 06:02 PM
I'd look for a loose neutral connection in a junction box, perhaps in the attic.