Install timer for a pool pump

Old 05-18-13, 07:04 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Install timer for a pool pump

Hi, I am in process of installing a timer on my pool pump (it is currently wired to a toggle switch. Both the power supply line and pool pump have a black, white and green wire. If my understading is correct, the black wires are the hot wires and shoud be hooked up to the to the 1st and 3rd terminal. The green (ground) should be wired together with a nut and
jumped to the ground screw. I am not sure what to do with the white wires? Do I just connect them together with a nut or do I put them on the 2nd and 4th terminals. FYI, the timer is a Tork 1104-O. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-18-13, 07:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
According to this diagram

Tork timers and manuals

The timer does not need a neutral. It is for 240 volts.

Old 05-18-13, 07:20 PM
B
Thanks for the quick response. Does that mean that I purchased the wrong type of timer for this application or should I just connect the two white (neutral) wires together?

Old 05-18-13, 07:47 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Does that mean that I purchased the wrong type of timer for this application or should I just connect the two white (neutral) wires together?
It appears that you bought the wrong type of timer. See the input voltagte specs at Tork 1104-O 24 Hour DPST Mechanical Time Switch with....

How big is the circuit? You may only need to replace the toggle switch with the same kind of timer switch you'r mount in a wall box inside your house.

Old 05-18-13, 08:06 PM
B
It is 20. Thanks again for the follow up!

Old 05-18-13, 08:53 PM
Received 6 Upvotes on 5 Posts
Use a standard in-wall timer switch. Make sure it's protected from the weather.

Old 05-19-13, 01:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Although an inwall timer would make an ideal installation.....I don't think the switching relay would last very long. I'd highly recommend using an Intermatic or Tork HD timer.

Old 05-19-13, 07:04 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
If my understading is correct, the black wires are the hot wires and shoud be hooked up to the to the 1st and 3rd terminal. The green (ground) should be wired together with a nut and
jumped to the ground screw. I am not sure what to do with the white wires?
Did I miss something? I don't see anywhere the OP may have provided the voltage of his pool pump motor. The Tork is a double pole timer and would work fine with a 240 volt pump circuit, but there are 120 volt pump motors out there too. The OP does suggest the white wires are neutrals, but has the OP checked the voltage to be sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: