New Dual Switch Not Working Properly

Old 05-20-13, 11:24 AM
New Dual Switch Not Working Properly

Hello All,

As I was searching for answers to my dilemma I came across this wonderful site and I hope some of you may be able to help me. My dilemma is this:

I am remodeling my laundry room and decided to replace this dual switch with a new one.
Name:  image(13).jpg
Views: 508
Size:  33.0 KBName:  image(14).jpg
Views: 350
Size:  35.1 KBName:  image(15).jpg
Views: 314
Size:  33.0 KBName:  image(16).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  30.4 KBName:  image(17).jpg
Views: 755
Size:  28.8 KB

This switch had a purple wire and a red wire going to the top and a black wire going to the bottom. So, I buy a new switch and run the wires the exact same way. Turns out the right switch was controlling both the laundry room light and the outside lights. So I break the tab on the new switch and figure this would solve my problem. Well, now only one side of the switch works. I've noticed that whatever side of the switch the black wire is on that side works. Do I split the black wire (which I'm assuming is the power) and run it to both sides of the switch? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-13, 12:30 PM
Group Moderator
This switch had a purple wire and a red wire going to the top and a black wire going to the bottom.
Duplex switches really don't have a top or bottom. They have a tab between the screws on one side that may or may not have been removed. It is important that it be left in place on the new switch if it was in place on the old switch and removed on the new if it was removed on the old.
This switch had a purple wire and a red wire going to the top and a black wire going to the bottom.
If you had only three wires on the old switch then it sounds like the tab wasn't broken on the old switch and the wire that was on the side with the tab should go to the side with a tab on the new switch.

If you have broken the tab on the new switch connect two pigtails to the black wire and connect the pigtails to the two screws on one side of the switch. Connect the red and purple to the screws on the other side.