Installing new garbage disposal

Old 05-20-13, 12:37 PM
Installing new garbage disposal

Old garbage disposal is hard wired, I can see where the wiring comes in for the wall on/off switch, and the power wire. New is a three pronged. So what is my best option? Because I have read that it should be plugged into an outlet. Here is a pic. The biggest problem is it isn't the only thing they have running to the wires, dishwasher and stove also run into same wiring. I could install a new outlet coming from the power wire. But I would have to install prongs on all other device wires. Then what do I do about the wall switch for garbage disposal??

Last edited by eyox1; 05-20-13 at 12:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-13, 12:52 PM
Group Moderator
Those wires are just wire nutted and hanging there like that ? :NO NO NO:

You have a dishwasher, a stove (I'm guessing gas) and a garbage disposer on one circuit. That circuit is loaded a little heavy. If that isn't something you are going to address at this times then you need to at least run all those wires into a junction box.

You could put them in a 4" deep junction box with a single receptacle cover plate on it for the disposer.

Cutting a plug off a plug-in unit is NOT recommended. One reason for the plug is that it becomes the servicing disconnect point if the unit needs to be serviced.

Name:  single recp..jpg
Views: 4750
Size:  8.0 KBName:  single rec 1900 cover.jpg
Views: 4626
Size:  12.8 KB

Old 05-20-13, 12:57 PM
Yes I agree it needs to be fixed, but I'm not sure what the solution is. Open to sugestions. This isnt the first electrical work the previous owner had "rigged" and we've been unhappy about.

Old 05-20-13, 01:11 PM
Group Moderator
I'm not sure what the solution is
You would put a surface mounted 4X4 box such as in PJ's post where they come out of the wall. If they enter and exit at two different point then two boxes connected by flexible metallic conduit.

Old 05-20-13, 01:15 PM
But from PJs post it sounds as if there is a different solution so they are not all on one circuit, other than just running a junction box. But I think that would be branching something onto a different circuit which sounds above my pay grade.

Old 05-20-13, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
If this is a code wired kitchen you should have a 20 amp small appliance branch circuit (SABC) receptacle within six feet of the stove you can plug the stove into. If you don't have the two currently required dedicated SBACs you might consider adding them. Not hard if you have space in your panel and we can walk you through it.

Old 05-20-13, 01:29 PM
The stove is plugged into a circuit on wall, not hard wired, should have said that. Not sure if its the proper one or not, but there's one there none the less.
Also, when I install the outlet at junction box what do I do about the ground? The old disposal only has a black and white wire coming off it. Although might I find one coming off the main white power line that is just cut and not running to anything?

Old 05-20-13, 01:41 PM
Group Moderator
The stove is plugged into a circuit on wall, not hard wired,
Knew it was plugged into a receptacle. That receptacle though should not be on the same breaker as the mess under the sink. Are there other receptacles on the same circuit as the under the sink circuit?

Old 05-20-13, 02:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There should be a green ground screw on the disposal to connect the ground to. Look near the access cover on the disposal.

Old 05-20-13, 05:37 PM
No, there was only a black and white wire hooked to old disposal.

Old 05-20-13, 05:41 PM
Looks like just that receptacle, the dishwasher and disposal. But I do not know where the incoming power wire is run from.

Old 05-20-13, 07:26 PM
There should be a green ground screw on the disposal to connect the ground to.
eyox1

No, there was only a black and white wire hooked to old disposal.
The green ground screw pcboss referenced is on the disposer whether it had a ground wire connected to it or not; it sounds like it didn't. Do you have a ground wire in this circuit? If so, it needs to be connected to that green screw. The old disposer looks to be an ISE, it has a green ground screw.

Old 05-20-13, 07:31 PM
The old one was hard wired, the new has the 3 pronged plug. So I will have to see in the main power wire if there is a ground.

Old 05-21-13, 06:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are using a listed disposal cord it will have a ground wire in it.

Old 05-21-13, 07:38 AM
Thanks everyone. Went to hardware store last night will install junction box and receptacle today.